Does The 9Th Guru Profess To Being A Hindu?

Mr Sardar

• Tin te sun Siri Tegh Bahadur

Dharam nibaahan bikhe Bahadur Uttar bhaniyo, dharam hum Hindu

Atipriya ko kin karen nikandu Lok parlok ubhaya sukhani

Aan napahant yahi samani Mat mileen murakh mat loi

Ise tayage pramar soi Hindu dharam rakhe jag mahin

Tumre kare bin se it nahin

• ~ Guru Tegh Bahadur's reply to Aurangzeb's ordering him to embrace Islam.

(In response, Shri Tegh Bahadur says, My religion is Hindu and how can I abandon what is so dear to me? This religion helps you in this world and that, and only a fool would abandon it. God himself is the protector of this religion and no one can destroy it.)

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/articles_hinduism/99.htm

someone said this is from the suraj prakash granth. Guru Tegh Bahadur says "dharam hum Hindu" my religion is hindu.

Is this true if so what does this mean? Is it a fabrication if so from where? Should we believe this? Why hasn't this been addressed?

Why not contact the site?

The site owner, or article author fails to mention any of his sources. Plus look at it's name. Sounds pretty extreme. I don't think the owner will be overjoyed to see that disparities are being raised over his work. It is highly evident hes taking a dig at Sikhi by employing the Khalistan movement as a veil.

The site owner, or article author fails to mention any of his sources. Plus look at it's name. Sounds pretty extreme. I don't think the owner will be overjoyed to see that disparities are being raised over his work. It is highly evident hes taking a dig at Sikhi by employing the Khalistan movement as a veil.

I recently saw the quote in an online discussion and searched it on the internet to that source. Asking that person they said it's from suraj prakash.

In my opinion , it dont make sense , the first Guru , Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji , mentioned ( na koh hindu na koh mussalman) , Waheguru does not care what cast,race,colour etc.. you are from as long as you remember the almighty with love and the Gurus did this without a doubt, and since all the Gurus were one spirtual light their teachings are the same.

I personally think , history tells us the characters of the Sikh Gurus , and labelling themselves I dodnt think they would have done , but rather state they believe in the almighty creator whom we are all the children

• 2 weeks later...

• Tin te sun Siri Tegh Bahadur

Dharam nibaahan bikhe Bahadur Uttar bhaniyo, dharam hum Hindu

Atipriya ko kin karen nikandu Lok parlok ubhaya sukhani

Aan napahant yahi samani Mat mileen murakh mat loi

Ise tayage pramar soi Hindu dharam rakhe jag mahin

Tumre kare bin se it nahin

• ~ Guru Tegh Bahadur's reply to Aurangzeb's ordering him to embrace Islam.

(In response, Shri Tegh Bahadur says, My religion is Hindu and how can I abandon what is so dear to me? This religion helps you in this world and that, and only a fool would abandon it. God himself is the protector of this religion and no one can destroy it.)

someone said this is from the suraj prakash granth. Guru Tegh Bahadur says "dharam hum Hindu" my religion is hindu.

Is this true if so what does this mean? Is it a fabrication if so from where? Should we believe this? Why hasn't this been addressed?

It is there in volume 12, page 467. There is a footnote explaining it.

http://www.ik13.net/PDFS/Raas12.pdf

By the way it says dharam not "religion", I think that can make a great difference to the meaning.

It has been clear to us that the way we are 'hindu' is by geographics ..there is no mention of this word 'hindu' even in the Sanatan Shastras and Puraans so to say that anyone is a 'hindu' by religion wouldnt be correct.

Collectively, Dharam of Indian origin could be termed 'Hindu' otherwise it is always 'sanatan' . A ceoncept which kept evolving as according to the need of the time.

Could it also be a mere statement exposing the ignorance of the Mughals of the time? I know in many Persian sources referred to Gurus as Hindus, for example Dhan Guru Arjan Dev Ji was referred to as the Goroo of the Hindoos instead of Sikhs.

Tisarpanth recently had an article on the same matter, how geographically the Sikhs once considered themselves Hindus but with the ascension of pseudo-Hinduism and it's restrictive attempts to engineer itself with Indian diversity, that is state everything as being Hindu, discarded the article and declared it as an anathema.

• 1 month later...
Hindu (ism) and Sikh(ism)- both isms are both inventions of arya samaj and factions within singh sabha/teja singh etc.
Hindu (ism) popuraly known as now- is actually sanatan dharma under umbrella of that sanatan dharam there are many school of thoughts/ spiritual school of thoughts can be very confusing for average joe blow.
Although khalsa panth/sikh dharma has its indic roots, its primal dharam...its third way-tesra panth. Two ways (both right or left) are all typical norms in this world, third way is center, balanced, unique, fast and refreshing as its always in the center of universe.
Word hindu in gurbani described in gurbani in many places have different meaning depending on various different context, it mostly used to describe people belong to hind/indic demographics.
Sikh is ancient sanatan(eternal/primal) term(sikh comes in vedas/shish) than hindu. Hindu term is no where to be found in hindu scriptures.. Sikh (shish) term is there since aad (primal time- aad sach jugad sach hai bhi sach nanak hosi bhi sach) just like gurmat and gurbani, its been always been there through out all yugas but its fully personified and pargat in form of gurbani by satguru nanak dev maharaj in sargun form in kaliyuga after nanak nirgun roop looked at human condition in kalyuga.

. Guru said na Hum Hindu na hum Musalman but did he say we are Sikhs? If Adi Granth does not mention Hindu dharam as Guru's faith anywhere, it also does not mention Khalsa or supports long hair. Adi Granth in fact criticises those who keep long hair or shave their heads o

Actually Sikh is mentioned plenty times by Guru Ji.

Ashtapadee: Ang 286

The True Guru cherishes His Sikh.

The Guru is always merciful to His servant.

The Guru washes away the filth of the evil intellect of His Sikh.

Through the Guru's Teachings, he chants the Lord's Name.

The True Guru cuts away the bonds of His Sikh.

The Sikh of the Guru abstains from evil deeds.

The True Guru gives His Sikh the wealth of the Naam.

The Sikh of the Guru is very fortunate.

The True Guru arranges this world and the next for His Sikh.

O Nanak, with the fullness of His heart, the True Guru mends His Sikh. ||1||

Khalsa created by 10th Guru Ji, after competion of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is cherished and praised by Guru Ji in Dasam Granth and Sarbh Loh Granth.

Critisism of long/short hair needs to be understood in the context of the whole shabad.

1. Nothing was borrowed, as nothing was taken at the first place as sikhi gumat is source where everything came. In fact hindus(indic) people came from sikh not the other way around. Sikhi/Sikh is eternal(snatan/anadi- aad sach jugad sach hai bhi sach nanak hosi bhi sach). There is no such thing as hinduism religion, does not exist in organized, its many school of thoughts fragmented divided everywhere against each other (vaishanvas vs shankara, shaviasm, advaita vs dvait-advaita etc) which is dividing more people, creating more road blocks than uniting. Gurmat blends unites everything, its includes everything as gurmat is underpinned by shabad/gyan which is source of every thing where including bhram, vishnu, shiv came from.

2. Khalsa/Gurmat is not a cult, its third way - complete dharma , its most profound expression in the man kind where anyone from all four corners, four caste, woman anyone can take intiation and graced with most profound gurmantra of all yugas combined - Vahiguroo most profound expression of sargun intertwined with nirgun aspects of Ikongkar.

3. Your Bhagti movement would have turned into sunat movement by mughal rulers if it wasn't for khalsa(bhakti-shakti) combined.

4. Nanak nirgun/Vahiguroo started this play-tamasha himself of this world, created vedas/upanishad/avtars, many task were completed, many were failed in front of shakti of maya of nanak akaal purkh himself. .But in kalyug, when all have failed (based on human conditions) in kalyuga/maya, nanak nirgun himself incarnated as satguru nanak in sarguna to give this world most simple/simplified way- sri guru granth sahib ji for unity- naam simran and niskham seva and sri dasam granth sahib to reinforce to only worship one non dual jot of nirankar. We don't beleive in avtar worship. Aaad ant ek avtara sohi sumjho guru humara

5. We neither totally accept vedas (because of empty rituals) nor totally reject it (because at the end, knowledge of self jiv/bhram is there).

http://sikh-reality.blogspot.ca/2011/05/vedas-and-gurbani-sakhi-guru-amar-daas.html

I will post more later.

Actually Sikh is mentioned plenty times by Guru Ji.

Yes sikh means guru da chela. One can be a sikh one of the ten gurus or a sikh of other gurus e.g. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. His followers would also be considered sikhs if we go by the terminology in Guru Granth Sahib.

It appears it was the Singh Sabha who moulded this term into a "sikhism".

Edited by BhagatSingh

Tisarpanth recently had an article on the same matter, how geographically the Sikhs once considered themselves Hindus but with the ascension of pseudo-Hinduism and it's restrictive attempts to engineer itself with Indian diversity, that is state everything as being Hindu, discarded the article and declared it as an anathema.

What do you mean by the "ascension of pseudo-Hinduism"?

I reject both hindu and sikh nationalist agenda unequivocally, at this point both have lost a plot with that being said sikhs/hindus have every right to stand against oppression /oppressive regimes, seek justice, deserve human rights under UN Geneva laws.

What more, the Gurus lived like any other Khatri Hindu of their age. They married like Hindus they were cremated like Hindus. Give me one different action of theirs.

GGS took Amrit with a mixed caste group. He introduced a ceremony that actually forced one to break the taboo of sharing food with other castes.