Cold shower.........

How many of you attempted to take cold shower in amrit-vela??

I tried it today..so that i wont feel lazy and i wanted to test my faith towards guru...

i was about to take cold shower.. once i got in the middle..my mind thought what if i get phenuimia ??? since here in toronto even little sign of that they will quartinine afraid of its sars... and i failed my test... i couldnt even think of havin faith in guru completely and take the cold-shower instead my mind went somewhere else got insecure :cry: :cry:

then i thought if i cant even take cold-shower with full faith to vaheguroo ji how i m goin to give my head to the panth... what a loss!!! i always thought i had a strong faith in guru and.. i couldnt even take cold shower without thinkin of consquences regardless :cry: :cry: :cry:

cold showa, bloody hell you know how hard that is, cold water constantly hitting your body, ouch thats really cold, baba if u got a bath tub, and a bucket fill the buket with cold water, and use sumin to scoop the water and bathe that way, thats how they do it in india, trust me alot more easier the the showa! once u get ova the first intials scoops of water its wicked!

a study was done in germany to the effects of having cold showers.

a control group was instructed to have their normal hot showers as usual.

a test group was told to have a hot shower, then at the end have a 'cold blast' for a couple of minutes.

after 6 months, they found that the test group had suffered half as many colds & minor infections as the control group, because the cold showers actually boosted their immune systems.

i also saw a program on tv once about people who live in siberia. they came outside in the freezing cold in nothing more than swimming costumes & each person had a bucket of cold water thrown over them :shock: . apparently it was an age old technique they had of boosting their immune systems!!

so cold showers are good for u!! :D

there's a couple of tricks u can use to make it easier... either bring your body slowly into the water, start of with feet & legs first etc (a moveable shower head is brilliant for this) or start of with tepid water & slowly decrease the temperature. u shouldnt have too cold a shower or stay for too long in the shower because u'll stop all blood flow to your skin.

trust me, sounds silly & unbelievable, but after a week of having cold showers, u wont want to go back to hot showers!!! :D & the feeling u get after showering of your warm blood working its way back into ur skin is amazing!! :D

i started taking them ages ago.. the first time i did it it was coz our boiler had conked out.. initially its hard, but i got used to it pretty quick. now its the standard and i dont find it hard at all. in fact, the only time i really use hot water when im washing my Kesh, and even then i finish off with cold water coz my nani said its good for u :D . the only other time i use hot water is if my muscles feel tense or knotted.

i think the trick is, as with many other things, not to make it a big deal.. dont be "OH MY GOD, I HAVE TO TAKE A COLD SHOWER!".. just make it the norm. u'll adapt sooner than u think, and it can be surprisingly refreshing and even relaxing once u get used to it.

ehmy - like i think kaal said - the first bit of paani will feel cold.... but then afta that u get used to it

thats minor man - when i go to the gym - i have a sauna - which is like 110 degrees - sit there for like 10 mins - then jump into the cold showers (well they meant to be warm but the tramps dont turn the heat on :x :P )

neo dont be scared of the paani - ehmy - singh ban ke paani to dhardha.. :P:P:P

fatehhhh!!!!! :D

Guest kaur1699

had my first cold shower at a camp... cus they forgot to set the timers for an earlier time... anyway... at first its a killer, but then u get used to it...

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fatehhhh

Yeah its hard having cold shower but its REALLY GOOD for AMRIT-VELA!!! THEN U DOO UR PATH GOOD at Amrit vela!! :wink: :wink:

I think the first time i had cold Shower its was in India at Gurdwara Shri HEMKUNT SAHIB.........WOW GUYS THE WATER WAS SOOO COLD!!! BUT IT'S WAS GOOD!!! BUT WITH GURU JI KIRPA I WAS FINE!! I MEAN I DID'T GET NO COLD!!! HAS ANYONE BEEN TO HEMKUNT SAHIB GURDWARA??? HOPFULLY WITH GURU JI KIRPA GOING NXT YEAR AFTER MY STUDYING!!!! :D

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fatehhhh

• 6 months later...

I did this for about 6 months last summer...after that it backfired on me! I would recommend keeping the cold showers short and sweet, consider using Badaam Rogan (almond oil) prior to going into the shower and have a good warm towel to hand afterwards and make sure your Bathroom isn't freezing cold (like mine without any source of heat!) which was the cause of my problems!

Otherwise alternating showers are great and work just as well over a period of time regardless of the 3HO cold-showerites may insist on the matter!

• 3 weeks later...

lol this brings back memories :P

I was in india this summer and it was boiling hot, but I couldnt start the day without a cold shower. The fresh...cool...shock to the system was really much much better than a warm/hot bath like my mum used to have.

The only thing is...in England the prospect doesn't seem so refreshing when its black outside and its freezing in the house and bathroom...ah well..I've been inspired!