Sikh Sanatan Women Event this Thursday 17th Feb

gupy

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I would have been so :D if the picture was of a woman that represents SIKH women.

Here is an idea lol:

Mata Gujri Ji :)

Mai Bhago Ji :D

Being tied in jewels is not really what the SIKH SIKH SIKH women did but the sikh woman did.ie. the true Sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh Ji would not adorn themselves with this as they are and were santsipahis and can you imagine a woman about to go into war with all that? :x

And lets remember that we have always been told to stay ready to fight lol.

Now replace that picture!! Lol I think that picture is not very good in reflecting the subject though.

:?

First of Har Naal Pyaar Ji,

We are soo used to see sikh women and even sikh men being in warrior type portray that we forgot that some can dress up like raja -ie Raja Janak and someone can dress up like - (Raja Hari Chand wife's) Rani Tara and still be "Bhramgyani".

In Sukhmani Sahib there is a tuk- Raj Mein Raja, Jog Mein Jogi.....

If you are thinking that only sikh women with keski with no make up can get passport to sachkhand darbar then you are mistaken.

We got figures both male and female who were king/queen and dressed up like king/queen but still leen in Vahiguroo (merge with God).

And if gurbani has accepted them not because how they dress up like but because of karni/bandagi towards Vahiguroo then

"Who are we to say otherwise"?

Bhai Gurdas Ji says referring to raja janak-

"Gurmukh Maya vich udasi"

Fact that you have figures who were king and queen but still were fakirs in Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and the fact you got figures who were in full bana in Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and in Sikh History shows "diversity in the panth" ..

mock each other down is biggest morakhta one can do.

mock?me? :( , I simply thought that it would be more desireable to have a Sikh woman in bana. I don't wear bana and I am not saying that all Sikh women did. Such talks are very popular and it would be so good to see women dressed in bana to set an example and show the simple life Sikhs are encouraged to live. The woman looks tied down and I felt sorry for her. A woman able to move more freely looks so heroic and strong.

:? Hope no one got offended. N30?

haan ji, i understand where you coming from ji but hey you gotta loads of sikh women warrior type potray in camps, seminars, lectures.. why not a bit of other side too??

doesn't hurt anyone i guess if they acknowledge diversity in the panth..

i m sorry i didn't mean to mock you or anything :(

NEO it comes down to the definition of sikh..

bro sometimes you can can't held modern day maryada over siri guroo granth sahib ji because it contradicts with the teaching... please look into examples i have given- Raja Janak(Male) and Rani Tara(Raja Hari Chand Wife)

bro sometimes you can can't held modern day maryada over siri guroo granth sahib ji because it contradicts with the teaching... please look into examples i have given- Raja Janak(Male) and Rani Tara(Raja Hari Chand Wife)

Im not talkin about current maryada....im sayin that we shud look into Guru Ji to find out what Guru Ji has given as definition of sikh, nothing else..

N30 S!NGH wrote:tableji wrote:NEO it comes down to the definition of sikh..

Im not talkin about current maryada....im sayin that we shud look into Guru Ji to find out what Guru Ji has given as definition of sikh, nothing else..

You will see at the seminar that Adi Guru Bani will be focused on.

... but maybe in a form your cutomed to, i.e. example of Mirabhai.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy at work.

Due to the inconvenience caused in the previous events in November, it was decided that we would not state which Sikh societies supported the events (but just to let you know there are over 15 Sikh societies in the UK which are behind this event).

This event is open to everyone, especially the Sikhs in Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

From the Joe Bloggs to the Khalsitani, from the chauvinists to the lesbians.

ALL WELCOME !!!

But remember, this is a academic talk looking at historical evidence and facts, not hear say.

See you all there 6:30 pm sharp.

oh yeah, if any body is interested,

on tuesday the 15th of february, @ 11:00 there will be a small discussion on Sikh Women ( linked to the talk in warwick uni) on the BBC Asian radio Network with Sonia deol ( I think she is the presenter)

Sorry but i dont know the frequency. but if anybody does can you please post the details.

"But remember, this is a academic talk looking at historical evidence and facts, not hear say. "

Sorry, but where did Niddar gain his Bachelors/Masters/PhD from, and will this presentation be accompanied by an academic paper so those of us who can't attend can at least get an idea of the 'historical evidence' and 'facts' that will be presented ?

Guest -akalsharan-

oh yeah, if any body is interested,

on tuesday the 15th of february, @ 11:00 there will be a small discussion on Sikh Women ( linked to the talk in warwick uni) on the BBC Asian radio Network with Sonia deol ( I think she is the presenter)

Sorry but i dont know the frequency. but if anybody does can you please post the details.

1. Via a DAB digital radio

2. Via digital satellite television

3. Via a digital cable television

4. Via the internet

5. If you live in the Midlands on medium wave.

6. Via digital terrestrial television.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/faqs/ans...ti.shtml#listen

There has been a change to the radio show. There will no longer be a discussion on BBC radio asian network on tuesday a5th 11am.

The discussion will hopefully take place at some point after the Thursday seminar at Warwick University, which has NOT been changed.

So see you all there on thursday night for the Sikh womens seminar.

also to reply to sidak who said

"But remember, this is a academic talk looking at historical evidence and facts, not hear say. "

Sorry, but where did Niddar gain his Bachelors/Masters/PhD from, and will this presentation be accompanied by an academic paper so those of us who can't attend can at least get an idea of the 'historical evidence' and 'facts' that will be presented ?

To present the wroks of academics, does not require a PhD. I will restate again that we will be using resources from museums, private collections etc, quotes from academics i this field and other historical evidence. Our aim is to avoid the 'hear say' knowledge that is widely accpeted elsewhere.

Nihung Niddar Singh may no have a MA/PhD/etc, however he is an individual that has conducted a wide range of research and inspired others to persue academic studies (such as PhDs and writers) in these fields.

Please remember that these events are not the sole invention of Nihung Niddar Singh. Moreover, they are the result of a team of individuals who have worked hard in resourcing and preparing this event.

To make up yur own minds, and give a criticism of the content please feel free to come along. For those who can't we will provide some format of digital recording.

Well Well Well Gupy,

Any 'Sikh Women Seminar' which claims that Mirabhai's writings are part of Gurbani - when the Bhano Bir claim to be the original copy of Aad Granth has been discredited numerous times [by academics I would trust more than a postman from Birmingham], makes me more than a little suspicious ...