Why do we light a Jot?

sk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its not the jot itself its sugandhi of the jot which clears the air of bad smells makes the room smell nice and within it being in jot form the beautiful flickering light creates an atmosphere in which bhagti is made easier and therefore ure connection with waheguru is easier, hence shaheeds singhs and devi devtas are said to be attracted.

Really the jot is a tool for reaching waheguru ji not an essential part of bhagti and can sometimes become ritualists. Especially wen the light from the jot becomes unsightly - we need to make beautiful jot holders again and dhoop holders to create a beautiful atmosphere for bhagti in our gurdwaras - its all about trying to regain the lost connection with the divine spirit within each and everyone of us...

hope i havent offended the pro jot or anti jot jatha in anyway

akaaaal

Once again as many things in religion there are many anwers to why we light joht and there can be many more,

Neo is correct when he says that the belief in it attracting Shaheeds and positive entities,

Challenge is correct by developing the idea further and stating its the smell and purification which attracts those entities,

Also hes correct when he says it was and still is used as a way to meditate, by fixing yourself on the flame it helps to draw a calm in the concious mind, allowing the sub concious to become more active similar to how hypnotism works to zone you out and drown your senses ! Brilliant when doing simran as overactive senses are what break our meditation.

It also plays an esoteric role, in representing our atma our joht and or the joht of maharaj providing light in the darkness of maya.

This however may imply its ritualistic and should be stopped as Khalsa Fauj who is my hero and role model in sikhi. ! stated, however the counter argument to the akaal takht is why do Chaur Sahib Seva when Maharaj doesnt actually get hot or cold, as Maharaj is beyond that, if its to stop flies then why not just use bug spray? etc etc you could go on and on

There is also a practical reason to the Joht however, I have only seen it used in such a way in the Budhadal Chakarvarti Darbar, (the big tent lol) Where they place a large joht infront of each saroop, now if the electricity runs out no need to stop doing the paat or run around looking for candles, lol the joht gives out enough light to continue reading, which would also have been the only means of doing an akhand paat when there was no electricity, using johts to see at night.

However, there may be many other reasons, but thats all I can think of at this moment in time.

There is no need for jot anymore. We have electicity. Generators, batteries, etc.

As for dhoof, also called aagarbatti, that can be acceptable as it makes the whole room or darbar smell good. Jot is related to worship of fire. I have seen and see many bibis bow to jot before taking parsaade from the parsaadee-aa. The Parsaadee-aa doesn't say anything. Parsaadee-aa is the person who sits with Karah Parsaade and gives it to sangat. Jot is not necessary anymore. It makes the area black with smoke. The white color fades away and starts to turn into black on the walls near the jot. So jot is not for use these days. So please do this parchaar in your local Gurudwaras if you can.

However, there are other susbtitutes available to dhoof. Scents, air wicks that smell awesome. So many different kinds. I know because I ship them. With air wicks, there is no danger of fire or the dhoof lighting out. It stays for multiple days or weeks depending on the size and quality. I don't own an air wick company. So don't think I am advertising for my product. Just trying to give a different way of looking at the situation. Many Gurudwaras here in the west are movign into using these quick and easy methods.

jot may not be necessary on a practical level - but is the naalaa in the kacheraa necessary on a practical level?

We have the naala to remind of of jatt and satt...

The jot is there to focu on to help meditation, light a candle at home and meditate whilst looking at the flame and you will see for yourself - dont trust what i say do it yourself... go on go on

Gurfateh!!

It can not possibly be against Akal Takht Rehit because most of the Historical Gurudwareh (sgpc run) in punjab always have a joht, sometimes in a little cupboard.

Lets make this clear nobody worships the joht, we have established why it is there.

Gurfateh!!

Naw it is against Akaal Takht rehat. If someone has to focus on jot for meditation. It is not good. The focus has to be on Gurbani. Not some jot mot. SGPC run Gurudwaras didn't have jots before. They do have them now. Derawaas is running high and wild in SGPC. So that is why. I see a lot of people ranting about SGPC. SGPC has people related to your fake sants and saadhs who some of you guys place above sants. You guys says remoce SGPC remove SGPC. Most of people runnign SGPC or Gurudwaras are from Damdami Taksal. E.g. Vedanti, Porran Singh (now retired), and many more. So don't thing corruption will be removed if your jatha takes over. Probably more. Corruption won't be gone unless true Gurmat Gian is followed. I don't see any jatha following True Gurmat Gian.

don't worry abt sgpc . sgpc is all corrupted . look at jagir kaur , badal . vedanti all corrupted . they don't believe in sadhus , they r against jots , they r against sampat akhand paths , they r against fotos , they r almost against everything except eating kutha . most of the members eat meat and drink alcohol . so don't worry abt sgpc . take teachings from puratan sampardas like damdami taksal , rara sahib , nanaksar ... etc and the teachings of mahapurkhs .

Akaal Takht maryada wasn't made by badal or jagiro or vedanti. AKaal Takht maryada clearly says not to light a jot, place a water pitcher or coconuts. These manmats are back in SGPC controlled Gurudwaras.

As for your taksals and rara sahibs:

Vedanti is from Damdami Taksal.

Jagiro is from a sant mat dera. She has her own dera.

Pooran Singh was also a product of Damdami Taksal.

Most people in SGPC and Gurudwras are from the groups you mentioned above.

Nanaksar is busy trying to prove the nand singh was avtar of Guru Nanak. They should be excommunicated.

Dhan Dhan Khalsa Fauji Panthi..excommunicated everyone who doesn't beleive in shallow-minded ideology.

Nanaksar is busy trying to prove the nand singh was avtar of Guru Nanak. They should be excommunicated.

proof for your claim? may i ask ?

Baba Nand Singh Ji is always portrayed as a pooran-bhramgyani mahapurkh in nanaksar who had shardha and prem towards Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji which made Siri Guru Nanak dev to give his sevak- paratak darshan.

You want to excoumminicate nanaksar from your panth go right a head...try it ..lol.. it's about time soo called panthic sikhs of today actually do what they say instead of sittin on a computer all day claimin panth should excommunicate this or that but chicken out when it's time to actually implementing their soo called plans...!

I enjoy your circus posts ( the khalsa fauji)... keep them coming... quite an tamasha really..lol

Sadh Sangat jio,

This all sounds so familiar. As maybe some of you know, Tibet fell to the Chinese in the 1950s. Admittedly it was the culmination of a centuries old fued, but unthinkably horrific acts of cultural and religious destruction took place. Monasteries that would house thousands of monks were turned to rumble. Centuries old temples were smashed, the buddhas images and shrines desecrated, smashed, burnt, melted. Centuries old manuscripts were burnt or ripped up and used for some mundane function, monks killed, etc

The irony of the 1950s destruction of Tibetan identity and cultural and religious history is that the worst acts were perpetrated by not by communist chinese but young tibetans recently converted to Maoism. They were ferocious in their destruction. Naive, resentful and bitter.

I see a similar thing happening on a smaller scale these days with some youth being brought into Sikhi through hatred, resentment and fear. This whole 'Sikhi is under attack' mentality, which although there exist groups who wish to distort Sikhi, has been exploited by some for political and doctrinal ends. How many kids have I met who love politics but can't read gurmukhi? Hence, it seems to me that it is the youth with so little understanding, such naivety who are most ferverent in their dislike of what is actually our own heritage, slowly being whittled away. For such people the bitter political opinion takes precendent and the traditions of the Guru come after, malleable and functional in the sense that they can be distorted to support the mindset.

N30. We all know where you are talking from and who you support. GOI. And what type of views you have. Oh my. You say people like me chicken out. Get one of us the jathedar and we will show you how and who and why to excommunicate. We will also show you guys how to do parchaar. We also show you how to handle RSS activities and how to resply to them. What have Nirmalas done for the Panth? Except bring Brahmnism into Sikhism.

Singh Sabha movement brought out Gurmat maryada into Gurudwaras. Derawaad went downhill. Now due to lack of education and corrupt leaders and parchaaraks, dewaad and brahmnism are back into Sikhism. Jot is Brahmanism. That is it. It is wrong.

c. Placing a pitcher, ceremonial clarified-butter-fed lamp, coconut, etc. around, during the course of the uninterrupted or any other reading of Guru Granth Sahib, or reading of other Scriptural texts side by side with or in the course of such reading is contrary to the gurmat (Guru's way).

http://sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_three_chap_five.html

u know wot forget all this bullsh*t - khalsa fauj my bhraa my veer my jaan go to

http://www.ektaone.com/pl_acapella.php

listen to this simran - this is my way of apologising to you for arguing - who cares you have your opinion i have mine the next singh has his - can't be arsed to get into an arguement...

everyone listen to the simran and be nihaal!