Vedanti - going, going, gone.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/aug/05sikh.htm

Sikh religious head quits post

August 05, 2008 13:23 IST

The jathedar of Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs, on Tuesday resigned from the post giving no reason for his sudden move.

Joginder Singh Vedanti submitted his resignation to the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee, a statutory body which manages affairs of Sikh shrines.

SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar confirmed to PTI the receipt of the resignation, but declined to give more information.

Vedanti, the senior high priest in a group of five that governs Sikhism from the Golden Temple in Amritsar [images], submitted his resignation to SGPC general secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur.

When contacted, the top Sikh cleric said Bhaur along with Rajinder Singh Mehta, a member of the SGPC executive committee, visited Vedanti's place on Monday night and asked him to resign.

Makkar said Vedanti's resignation would be placed before the executive committee meeting of the SGPC to be held in Kurukshetra in Haryana.

What i don't get is what authority parkash badal has over choosing sri akaal takth sahib jathedar. is SGPC fully infltrated with badal's men? is that it?

Unfortunately yes. Saddest part of this is, even Sant Samaj supports candidates that badal puts up during SGPC elections. Imagine if Panthic and Sant Samaj Singhs put up their own candidates and vote for them, SGPC can literally be different over night.

Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti quits as Akal Takht Jathedar

Amritsar, Aug 5 : Citing 'personel reasons', Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti today resigned as Jathedar of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhism.

"I resign as Jathedar of Akal Takht due to personel reasons", the one line resignation letter submitted to Shiromani Gurdwara Prabansik Committee (SGPC) general secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur and SGPC executive members Rajinder Singh Mehta at around midnight stated.

The two SGPC members had gone to the Jathedars residence in the Golden Temple complex for accepting the resignation letter. Mr Bhaur will table the letter before the SGPC executive, which is meeting at Kurukshetra in Haryana today.

When contacted, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, confirmed having submitted his resignation to Mr Bhaur. He, however, refused to elaborate on his resignation or whether he was 'forced' to quit.

" I have resigned, you contact the SGPC", he stated while answering querries of mediapersons.

However sources close to the Jathedar claimed that Mr Bhaur and Mr Mehta had sought the resignation of the Jathedar, obviously after instructions from 'above', that is the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) hiearchy. The SAD has complete control over the SGPC.

The executive will complete the formality of the acceptance of the resignation and may appoint a new Jathedar. The SGPC executive is the sole appointing or removing authority of the Jathedar's of Akal Takht, Takht Damdama Sahib and Takht Keshgarh Sahib.

These three Takhts which are in Punjab are under the control of the SGPC. The other two Takhts---Patna Sahib and Hazoor Sahib in Nanded in Maharashtra are outside the jurisdiction of the SGPC, though the Akal Takht, being supreme can define religious parameters for these two Takhts.

--- UNI

*********************************************************************************

Dera row: Akal Takht Jathedar quits

CHANDIGARH, AUG 5 (PTI)

Akal Takht Jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti on Tuesday quit his post alleging he was asked to resign by a top functionary of the SGPC, a statutory body that manages affairs of Sikh shrines.

Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandak Committee president Avtar Singh Makkar, however, said Vedanti quit on health grounds.

He resigned "voluntarily citing ill-health as the reason", Makkar told reporters in Haryana's Kurukshetra district after a meeting of the SGPC executive committee.

The meeting, lasting three hours, accepted Vedanti's resignation and appointed Golden temple Head Priest Gurbachan Singh as acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikhs.

Earlier in the day, Vedanti, the senior high priest in a group of five that governs Sikhism from the Golden Temple in Amritsar, submitted his resignation to SGPC General Secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhaur.

When contacted, the top Sikh cleric, who is in Amritsar, said Bhaur along with Rajinder Singh Mehta, a member of the SGPC executive committee, visited his place last night and asked him to resign.

Vedanti declined to give more information leading to his resignation.

***************************************************************************************************

If the the Jathedar of AT is subservient to the SGPC and on their payroll; furthermore, if the SGPC was created by Act of Law(?) by the British Indian Govt, therefore an Indian Quango.

Does that not mean that the Jathedar of Akal Takat is technically an employee of the State/National Government??

What ever the structure may be it does seem that in reality the Jathedar's position is quite defunct and the real 'leader' of the Sikhs is the Badal clan and his political cronies.

Now that he's resigned, I wish we get a Jathadar like the Khalsa of the olden times, maybe a Nihang Singh. But with Badal choosing who becomes a Jathadar, I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Why not just the jathedar of Buddha Dal? lol

If the the Jathedar of AT is subservient to the SGPC and on their payroll; furthermore, if the SGPC was created by Act of Law(?) by the British Indian Govt, therefore an Indian Quango.

Does that not mean that the Jathedar of Akal Takat is technically an employee of the State/National Government??

What ever the structure may be it does seem that in reality the Jathedar's position is quite defunct and the real 'leader' of the Sikhs is the Badal clan and his political cronies.

. . . and Badal's 'BAPU' is the central govt-Delhi , so technically the central govt. is the real political leader of the sikhs (or indeed, who ever may be in charge of the central govt from behind the scenes).

I think this is why it is a must for leadership as well as any human to be honest to understand politics.

I maybe wrong, but is it one of Guru's Ji hukum to 'study politics'?

I guess this so we know the how the dirty game works (with sometimes the equally slippery media game) and so effectively engage in it with the highest values?

Anyone?

If the Panth is Guru doesn't that mean the Guru failed to chose an appropriate leader?

The panth hasn't chosen a leader in this case - a politician has.

Where the panth chooses the Jathedar, as at Sri Hazoor Sahib, everything is in Chardi Kala.

"If the Panth is Guru doesn't that mean the Guru failed to chose an appropriate leader?"

Depends on how one understands and defines Panth. Guru Panth is made up of true adherants of Sachaa Paatsha - it is not a legally recognised body run by non-dharmak Jackals. same goes for all other marg - including yours.

Haven't you got something better to do like spreading your Nazi lies and fanaticise what are otherwise open minded and peaceful communities (excepting for their raving looney homeland President)?

i sometimes think that these words are just used by Guru Ji to teach us Nimrata unless the definition of khalsa panth includes only those who are pooran brahmgyanis because brahmgyani aap parmeshar

Brother Ragmaala, I am inclined to agree with you. Sometimes I think we take these concepts a little too seriously. If the likes of Badal, Kala Afghana are a part of the Panth, and if a large portion of the Panth agrees with these types of men, then how can Panth be literally Guru? I think that the concept of Panth being Guru is for us to have nimrata. If the Panth was being led by Brahmgianis or just Rehetvaan Singhs who have firm faith in the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib and Dasam Granth, then I would be inclined to think the panth is literally Guru BUT we all know that's not the case right now in our Panth.

"Haven't you got something better to do like spreading your Nazi lies and fanaticise what are otherwise open minded and peaceful communities (excepting for their raving looney homeland President)? "

Is this a reference to the US? If yes...I don't live there...

"Guru Panth is made up of true adherants of Sachaa Paatsha "

Who says so?

"panth is not Guru, but Guru roop. "

Actually the Panth and the Granth are both Guru not just Guru roop.

Can anyone come up with a definition of Guru Panth that is authentic (not a "I fink dat da Panth is xyz)? Thank you

"Is this a reference to the US? If yes...I don't live there"

No Sir, it's a reference to your adopted motherland - the land belonging to the great Zoroaster.

As you are still obviously so passionate about Sikhi, why don't you in true chivalrous fashion, first state your belief/understanding of the word Panth, giving suitable references before asking others to do the same.

It will save a lot of wasted time, as it's your definition that will ultimately be biased and agenda driven, forming the basis of a possible debate here.

as bahadur (darbandi baba) once said in his katha (b4 he converted to islam), khalsa means someone who is under the direct authority of guru gobind singh ji, obviously the people at akal takht arnt, so therefore they are not khalsa correct?

therefore there is a limitation on who khalsa is, and it is a very rare thing, (as bahadur once agreed to, before "he saw the light")

as bahadur (darbandi baba) once said in his katha (b4 he converted to islam), khalsa means someone who is under the direct authority of guru gobind singh ji, obviously the people at akal takht arnt, so therefore they are not khalsa correct?

There have always been competing defiitions of what the Khalsa Panth actually is.For example Ranjit Singh's court considered itself the Khalsa and this created tensions with the Nihangs. I think the safest approach is:

1. to acknowldge the differing definitions first

2. and then look for the one that is historically more accurate and actually has a lineage.

Lineage or parampara seems to be the defining criteria. Ie it isnt enough to claim some subjective adherence to the person of uru Gobind Singh there also needs to be an objectively verifiable lineage that the 4 sampradayas seem (i stress seem) to possess.

As for Shaheediyan's comments:

- President Ahmadinejad never called for the destruction of Israel. The sentence he has always repeated is from Imam Khomeini (ra) himself and reads in literal farsi: " The Imam said that the illegitemate zionist regime swill become a turned page in the book of history"

There has never been a question of whiping out Jews or Israel. As for the Holocaust conference it has been heavily condemned by most of the Iranian clergy and first among them Imam Khamenei who is the real leader here.

And for your information Iran has the largest comunity of Jews in the Middle East outside of Israel, they have an mp at the parliament and are very prosperous here. In fact one of the most popular TV shows here is one about the Iranian ambassador of Iran in France who saved many Jews from the Nazi terror.

Yes Iran is the country of Hazrat e Zartosht (as) but also of Imam Hussain's wife Shahra Bano (as) which makes all our subsequent Imams the rightful Shahe Shahan Shahs of Iran. This is a deeply Shi'a nation.

Before stating lies about Iran get your facts right.

btw my flat is 30 meters away from Ahmadinejad's house. The guy's internal politics is a joke BUT people can come to his house and give him letters where they can complain or ask for help. This is a middle class area nothing flashy. and his house is a very normal house. Two guards.I may not agree with the guy's politics but he has good living ethics.