Chatka Video at Hazoor Sahib , not for the faint of heart !!

Ragmaala

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is more information on how ritual its performed and its importance.

source : taken from bahudar ali previous post on this forum

Here is the jhatka maryada as described in the old sarabloh.com website (pre-Nidarpanthi) from 2001:

If people become aware of the Maryada behind Jhatka, then hopefully they will be able to understand that it is far more that just people quenching their thirst for meat.

Please visit Image Library One "Jhatka : 'Death from a single blow'", to view a series of photos dealing with the process Jhatka.

To Akali Nihang Singhs the Maryada of Jhatka is a gift from our beloved Satguru. To see Jhatka as the consumption of meat is comparable to seeing Gur Ka Langar as the consumption of food.

Satguru Maharaajs Langar is far more than just the distribution of food, Gur Ka Langaar should be prepared with extreme Sucham (cleanliness), the Gursikhs involved should be reciting Gurbani or doing Naam Simran..

When the langar has been prepared it is then brought before Satguru Maharaaj and Ardas is offered. During the Ardas, the Gursikh will ask Satguru Jee to bless the Langar by touching it with a weapon, usually a small iron Kard (Blade). The Langar has now become Gur Ka Langar. It is much more than just food.

The availability of Gur Ka Langar to people of all castes, creed and colour is a philosophical extension of Gursikhi, it demonstrates in a physical manner the spiritual concept of equality and the love of humanity.

The Maryada of Jhatka, in the same vein is far more than just the consumption of meat. However many modern day Sikhs are unaware of the Maryada involved in Jhatka and the philosophical implications involved.

Damdami Taksaals 11th Jathedar Sant Baba Gurbhachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale, has written that if the time arises when a Gursikh needs to eat meat to survive, he should kill the animal with his own Sri Sahib (Sword). So the knowledge of what Jhatka is and how it is performed is of use to those who do not consume flesh on a regular basis.

The process of Jhatka begins with the appointment of a Nihang Singh that will take responsibility for this seva. The Nihang Singh is selected by the Jathedar (leader) of the Dal. The Jathedar will then perform Ardas in Satguru Granth Sahib Jees Hazoori, asking Satguru's agia (permission or blessing) to enroll this Nihang Singh onto this seva. After this process is complete the Nihang Singh in question will be referred to as an Ardasi Singh.

In Akali Nihang Dals only Ardasi Singhs can take part in Satguru's seva. Only Ardasi Singhs can prepare and touch Gur Ka Langaar, only Ardasi Singhs can sit on Satguru Maharaajs Tabia (next to Satguru Jee on his Throne), only Ardasi Singhs can prepare Karah Prshaad, Shaheedi Degh and Mahaprashaad.

The induction of Ardasi Singhs to do Satguru Jees seva ensures that no impostors or people of bad Rehit get anywhere near Satguru Jee Langar or Prshaad We must appreciate that many people use the Bana of the Satguru Khalsa Panth in order to scare people. These impostors are commonly referred to a 'Nangs', or the naked ones. Nangs are not a new phenomena, they have also been around for a very long time. Although they may look like Nihangs, the Nangs have no love or understanding of the Dal Panths Maryada. When these fools are caught committing wrong deeds they are often seriously beaten, in some cases they may even be killed. The process of appointing Ardasi Singhs ensures that no 'Nangs' get anywhere near Satguru Maharaajs Degh, Langar or Mahaprshaad. Only Nihang Singhs of good Rehit are given the honour of becoming an Ardasi Singh.

This maryada also applies to Jhatka, only Ardasi Singhs can take part in this seva. Having been appointed to do the Seva, the Ardasi Singh will begin his preparation for Jhatka by having Ishnaan (Bath). He will wash his body and his hair, having done this he will put on a Sucha Chola (clean garment), Karmkassa and Dumalla. Finally he will clean his Karah with Sand.

After having Ishnaan, the Ardasi Singh will commence his paath in Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Hazoori, Vaar Sri Bhagauti Jee Ki Patsahi 10 (also known as Chandi-di-Vaar). The Ardasi Nihang Singh must be able to recite this Shabad from memory. Var Sri Bhagauti Je Ki depicts the epic battle between the Goddess of War Chandi or Durga, and the egoistic rakhshas (evil demons). Satguru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj describes a battle of horrific magnitude, where Chandi, seated upon her tiger is dispatching the Evil Rakhshas. When he has completed the shabad, the Ardasi Singh does Namaskar and leaves Maharaajs Hazoori.

Whilst the Nihang Singh that is going to perform Jhatka contemplates Chandi-di Vaar, another Ardasi Singh gives the Bakra (old goat) a full ishnaan (bath). Only goats are used within Akali Nihang Dals for Jhatka. When questioned about why Goats are used for Jhatka, the Chardi Kala Nihang Singhs replied "this is the Maryada started by Satguru Hargobind Sahib Jee, and we have no intention of changing it. After bathing the Goat, it is bought into the area in which Jhatka will be performed.. This designated area will have straw or hay put down on the floor.

The Nihang Singh that is going to perform Jhatka calmly approaches the Goat. Some Nihang Singhs encircle the goat in Gatka Pentra (Movements associated with Shastr Vidia), this has the effect of calming the goat and making it feel comfortable seeing the Shastr (sword).

The Tilk Laguan Vala Singh (The Singh who is going to anoint his weapon) then stands next to the Goat, at this stage some Akali Nihangs begin to recite Shastr Naam Mala, this is a Shabd in Sri Dasm Satguru Granth Sahib jee depicting the glossary of Weapons.

Another Ardasi Singh will have splashed water on the neck of the Goat, this makes the cut much smoother.

The Nihang Singh continues to move his Sword, very slowly above the head of the Goat. The goat at this stage will keep moving his head back and forth, because it finds itself in a new situation, it is unsure how to react.

Again the Tilk Lagaun Vala Singh moves the Sword, who represents the Goddess Chandi above the head of the Goat, the Goat now begins to move less. The Nihang Singh waits for the right moment.

The Goat drops his head slightly, then in a single shin (The same amount of time as it takes an eye to blink) the Nihang Singh focuses his mind on Maha Kaal (Great Death), and infuses the Sword with his Kamai (Spiritual Power achieved via meditations), the Sword severs the head of the Goat and the onlooking Nihang Singhs let off Jaikarey (Battle Cries). Click here to listen to an Akali Nihang Singh Jaikara.

The blood that rushes out of the Goats body is collected in a Bata, this will be used to apply tilak to all of the Shastr in Satguru Granth Sahib Jee's Hazoori. This process also takes place at Sach Khand Sri Hazoor Sahib Jee, all of Satguru Gobind Singh Jee's weapons are anointed with blood. Some of the Purataan Akali Nihangs drink the blood neat, it is said to be a good source of iron.

The goats head is placed on a Sarbloh Plate and then shown to the Sangat, the purpose of this is to show that it has been with one clean cut. The Bibeeki Singhs (Nihang Singhs of very Strict Rehit) will only eat flesh that has been killed in a single blow, Jhatka. They will refuse to eat flesh even if one little blood-vessel remains in contact with the head and body, this is called Patka.

The Body of the Goat is now passed on to the Ardasi Nihang Singhs who are in control of the Langar. They will skin, chop and cook the flesh. Whilst cooking the flesh they will recite Gurbani of Dasm Sri Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaaj. After the flesh is cooked, a small amount of it is taken into Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaajs Hazoori. Ardas is performed and the tip of the sword is dipped into the cooked flesh. Having performed Ardas, the flesh has become 'Mahaprashaad', the great Prshaad.

The 'Mahaprashaad' is then distributed to all of the Sangat, they must be seated in Pangat (rows on the floor). The brains of the Bakra (goat) are served to the Akali Nihang Singh that performed the Jhatka.

If a Nihang Singh consumes Mahaprashaad and believes it just to be meat, then he is committing a huge sin. Mahaprashaad is a gift from Satguru Hargobind Sahib Jee Maharaaj to his army.

Just as the consumption of 'Gur ka Langaar' is more that just eating 'food', the consumption of 'Mahaprashaad' is far more than the consumption of 'meat'. The Sucham (cleanliness) kept whilst Mahaprashaad is prepared is of a very high level, no body except the Ardasi Singhs can touch anything. When Mahaprashaad is being prepared the Nihang Singh recite Gurbani and focuses on Mahakaal.

The maryada of Jhatka has deep philosophical implications. The worship of weapons cannot be complete without worship of the Battle-field. The highest from of worship on the battle-field is the slaying of the Dusht (enemies). To increase our control of weapons, Satguru Jee has started the Maryada of Shikaar (Hunting) and the son of Hunting is the consumption of flesh.

So we hope that this brief introduction to the Maryada of Jhatka, helps the Sangat appreciate that Jhatka is much more than the craving to eat meat. Jhatka only takes place on special occasions such as Gurpurbs.

Personally speaking, many sant mahapursh including karak bhramgyanis including sant nand singh ji maharaj went to sachkhand hazoor sahib, some of them lived there, if they didn't had any problem with this, i don't think we should either. Obviously, there is a higher spiritual significance of such rituals which we may not understand at this point based on our own surti.

no i haven't.. i ll speak to them next time they come. But question here comes down, most of puratan mahapursh - sant attar singh ji maustanewale, sant gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale, sant nand singh ji went there and stayed in hazoor sahib for some time. Sant nand singh ji were soo impressed with tatkh maryada, that he included some of rituals from hazoor sahib into nanaksar maryada.

There are no historical accounts whatsoever that i have read that any mahapursh tried to question or critize maryada of takht hazoor sahib even if they don't agree with certain elements, most of them have satkar towards hazoor takht sahib maryada.

The only historical account i can think of- its major conflict between nirmale and nihangs at hazoor sahib which resulted in mascaare of nihang singhs by hands of nirmale at hazoor sahib, but i don't think that was over maryada, but it was over power, control all in the name of hunger for kursi.

Neo veer ji, having tolerance and agreeing that something is ok are 2 different things.

The thing is that syaane people like the Mahapurkhs you mention try to resolve these issues quietly, by keeping purdah, so that our dirtly linen doesn't get displayed in public.

Even Jathedar Kulwant Singh Ji is vege as far as I know and we all know the Taksali, Rarasahib etc view on this issue.

You are right that they all have Satkaar for Takht Maryada, which is why they all worked together for a successful 300 saal program.

Neo veer ji, having tolerance and agreeing that something is ok are 2 different things.

Off course, i totally agree with you. You don't have to intolerant with other maryada just because you don't agree with them.

just for the record- I m hard core veggie, I think twice before eating any products which might have eggs in them even if eggs are not feritilized. But I understand the ritual significance of jhatka done in maryada. Ask me how i feel about kfc other fast food restuarants serving meat. Thats definitely butcherness.

poor goat...

I cannot even watch that video, i afraid i might break into tears. But i choose not to get emotionally carried away, at the end of day- soul never dies, its just transcedent. I feel the same way when human gets jhatka in saudi arabia as death penalty punishment or goat gets jhatka in nihang dals, same faintness even thinking about it. But by reading tat gyan in Gurmat it does destroys all the subjective feeling, only thing remains is compassion. ..its hard to describe, i will just put into two words- killing with compassion, some people say its oxymoron, would never be able to understand until their surti reaches there.

Kam veera, if I remember correctly is it Sant Jagjit Singh in one of his videos that narrates the following sakhi; that once a Singh was doing nishan sahib seva and he fell off and died, Baba Sohan Singh (Bidhi Chand Dal) said that a balli was needed and ordered that a bakra be jhatka, after the jhatka the Singh that fell from the nishan sahib came back to life. Im syre its Sant Jagjit Singh that says this in one of the videos on Gurmatveechar where hes sittiing next to Baba Daya Singh of Bidhi Chand Dal.

Of the various Sants and Gianis that have spoken about Jhatka I personally find Giani Thakur Singhs mention of it in his asa di var katha as the best. He manages to give a fairly objective view of the maryada which unfortunately many Sants do not do with a tendency of ccompletely overlooking the various historical evidence that Jhatka is a Guru ordained martial tradition.

Kam veera, if I remember correctly is it Sant Jagjit Singh in one of his videos that narrates the following sakhi; that once a Singh was doing nishan sahib seva and he fell off and died, Baba Sohan Singh (Bidhi Chand Dal) said that a balli was needed and ordered that a bakra be jhatka, after the jhatka the Singh that fell from the nishan sahib came back to life. Im syre its Sant Jagjit Singh that says this in one of the videos on Gurmatveechar where hes sittiing next to Baba Daya Singh of Bidhi Chand Dal.

Of the various Sants and Gianis that have spoken about Jhatka I personally find Giani Thakur Singhs mention of it in his asa di var katha as the best. He manages to give a fairly objective view of the maryada which unfortunately many Sants do not do with a tendency of ccompletely overlooking the various historical evidence that Jhatka is a Guru ordained martial tradition.

Malwe da sher veer ji, can you share link where gyani thakur singh ji talks about meat?

Thanks in advance.

That is totally totally wrong , what is the significance of killing the poor goat ? None what soever . Wheres the sharda in that , none what soever . Then taken the head of the goat into the gurudwara , naa man that is totally wrong. Lets think about it , you are there in the Gurdawara for 2 weeks , your at peace , enjoying the environment , becoming spirtually enlightened ........... then on the 15th day jatka is performed , and is witnessed by yourself ... I beleieve all the things mentioned above go out the window , you'll get sickening thoughts in your mind for weeks / years

na that is wrong ...

I was listening to Baba Hardev Singh LULon Wale ( very very good he is) I think he summed up jatka and meat very well, i.e. we as humans cannot contemplate why the 10th Master hunted animals , why jatka was carried out etc.. all that todays sikhs see is that , the "Gurus use to do it , so it cant be that bad " , but then he also added the 10th Master Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's father Sri Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji was beheaded , his 4 sons were matryed - Now how many of us Sikhs are willing to sacrifice our families

I bet we know the answer to that .

Then he added , dont go into these kind of areas , you'll definitely have to pay for the consequences , when your time comes.

I still believe this is wrong .. , totally wrong

here you go guys, read well balanced articles on khoon da tilak by amritpal singh amrit:

Right click and save target as: its short read, very well put. its very balance article..

i think both parties can agree on something after reading this:

Right click and save target as on below links:

http://www.amritworld.com/pbi/commentary/h...on_da_tilak.pdf

ps note- amritpal singh amrit is an hazoori singh, despite of that, he puts very well scholary approach with no personal bias. he does not agree with khoon da tilak , nor he agrees with jhatka of helpless goat. he does agree kuttah is indeed kurahit in the panth(but thats an off topic itself).

weriously man who cares.. what you eat is what you are.. eat a bakra become a bakra.. be eaten by a singh.. become a singh.. its all in hukam. get over it..

things die... veggies kill plants without a care in the world the same knife cuts a sabji.. the same knife carves meat.. everyone is pre occupied with what people eat or how they show their love.. yet all ignore the love itself. just love maharaj get on with your own shit and if someone eats a goat be glad that karma dictates they will become a goat and the goat will become a singh that will eat them allowing them to become a singh that will eat the goat.. either way the panth continues.. jah rastafari and allah hu akbar to everyone..

hazoor sahib has its maryada, nanksar has its, taksal have their own.. there is no such thing as a niddarpanthi just people that like listening to niddar singh and his lovely wolverhampton accent like..

the only panth that matters is the tesra panth.. so when everyone is this side or that side.. pick the third side stay.. the side of your own truth.. at least then when judgement comes you can say all i did was what i knew and all i knew is what u graced me with.

no matter what one eats.. our sh!t is always brown !

I dont still think so in the past and BTW He ain't now and never will be in the future. One is not a hazoori just but living in the vicinity of 'Thakat sachkand sri hazoor abchal nagar sahib'. It takes much more than that. :) cheers

sorry my bad, i might be mistaken about it. I will trying search for his post he posted long time ago, if i recall correctly he did mention that he is hazoori singh.

also if you can tell us what is it take to be hazoori singh ? :P

N30 ji I guess u know this better.... when u dont want to believe in the Maryada there and contradict it then how can one identify himself as a Hazoori Singh. Maybe the veerji is a mahapurush but not a Hazoori Singh. No offence to him or any veer/behn. I think this is the best I can do to explain this.. my bad if I havent succeded at explaining this.

The article , doesnt really explain much as to the puropose of this un-called for jatka of a goat in the 21st century. It defies all the teachings of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji ( Animal rights acvtivists who see the video , I bet will not sit quietly ( i sincerely hope they dont , thtas if they see it)

Do we whole heartdedly think , this is Sikhi ? )

Again as i mentioned before , WE MUST NOT COMPARE OURSELVES TO THE GURUS .. WE MUST NOT ) and that it was is being done now i..e Gurus use it hunt , Gurus use to perform jatka etc.. BUT they also laid down their lives .

I personally believe this should be stopped , I dont know if anyone has tried this in the past , and what obstacles if any have they come across.

what kind of message is this given to the youngsters ?

When sri guru granth sahib is not respected , we call it beadbi , performing jatka in a Gurdawara isn't ??

This is wrong