Future Of Sikhawareness.com

Benti to Sadhsangat,

Lets discuss future of SikhAwareness, where would you like to see SikhAwareness in 2 years down the road?

Some strong points of SikhAwareness.com so far:

- Non profit organization, not run for business profits or individual profits, not even run on donations.

- Not a one man show, it's run by sangat, moderators have done excellent job enforcing policies on the forum...try to keep peace and everyone happy.

- One have to really try hard to get themselves banned, everyone is given chances to improve their post, getting used to policies of SikhAwareness..everyone who is banned also given chances to improve and get themselves unban.

- Extremely Sikh rich content, rare to find it on other satkar yog Sikh sites.

- Not ideology or agenda driven.

- So far run by labor of love, aim for ultimate forum for all sikhs across the globe to do vichar on sikh theology, and daily sikh matters.

Weak Points of SikhAwareness.com so far:

- Lack of stability , at times unreliable as far site performance goes.

- Total failure in promoting SikhAwareness website to both non members and inactive of SikhAwareness, failure in advertisement department ie- google search engine results etc.

- Lack of forum upgrades, upgrades to site interface, upgrades to increase performance due to time constraints, family commitment, would appreciate someone helping from technical background.

- Went down few times

- Inconsistent amount of post per day on forum.

- Failed to gather all Sikh jathebandiyas of panth ie- 3ho, akj on SikhAwareness to do vichar on the forum.

- Sometimes due to laxness, people taking advantage of using SikhAwareness as a platform to push their agenda by provoking posts or going off-topics.

Please discuss??

Let me add my two cents

1)When I started searching forums in 2005 almost all sikh sites have huge traffic.These days Sikh sites are Dead.Tapoban is no more .Traffic on SS is very low compared to what it was 05-06 Sikhnet very few posts.I think facebook has single handidly destroyed Sikh sites,so very difficult to predict future of sikh sites leave alone SA know what will happen to Sikh sites in another 2 years

2)Admin ,mods not doing very good job of posting new threads.I am sorry to say but on SA none of them is doing good job.I have hardly seen any mod opening new thread.In order to make site running good topics need to be posted regularly mainly from current affairs.

3)Freedom at present I am very happy to see freedom given to its posters full marks to SA on this.

I will add more points if something comes in my mind

Thanks soo much for your feedback kdsingh80. We are sorry way you feel on your 2nd point. But We are glad you shared your constructive feedback. I am sure we will improve in the area of pro-actively posting topics or posts to encourage more fruitful discussion.

more members are needed. Clever members such as Kharag Singh, Jsingh, Valli Singh, Shaheediyan, Tony, Bikramjit Singh, Niranjana, Fateh Singh, Bahadur, Tsingh and others have preety much left the site. The golden era of this forum was 2005-2006 when all of these members were here doing dungi vichaar

Edited by amardeep

Just my personal opinion, dont know who else may share this view. I think the reason why we dont get many new members could be because some see this forum as a 'Sanatan/Nihang' forum....many years back I even thought the same!

We hardly have any taksali's and other samparedeh on here because they MAY feel like we wouldnt agree with what they say as some on this forum take things from a Nihang point of view(if that make's sense).

Whereas SS many regard that as a Pro akj/taksali forum and is pretty much anti nihang(arguable).

We need a way to stop this idea getting into peoples minds and try to attract new members.

Just my 2 pugh's.

Whereas SS many regard that as a Pro akj/taksali forum and is pretty much anti nihang(arguable).

We need a way to stop this idea getting into peoples minds and try to attract new members.

Another minor problem is members majority of members are over knowledgeable,many youngsters who come to forum don't want to read the true history of Sikhs.They hardly have any chance of discussion against the heavyweights here so they may prefer to leave

I think more graphics may help attract new comers. Especially the young. But I'm not sure where you'd get expertise in that area.

Maybe have regular 'rolling' threads like sikhchic as well. They have these 'Talking stick' ones that can be quite informative.

Thing is I view this site like 'The Independent' of British media, whilst others are more akin to 'The Sun'. By this I mean the distinction between the populist (and mass consumed) and the discerning (with a smaller readership). Even if people vehemently disagree here, I know they aren't going to bring the debate to infantile levels like I frequently see on other sites (no names mentioned). There is less of the schizo RSS bogeyman vibe here.

This is a robust site, it's brave. It will discuss things others would be too nervous or even narrow minded to. KDS was right in saying that people are 'over knowledgeable' here. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. What you have here is the most intelligent and open of Sikh forums. It's not dumbed down. When you check the contents it is a true treasure trove of information. It's neutrality is it's biggest strength but probably also puts people who already have minds made up - off. We can talk about Bhai Vir Singh's editing without bans. We can talk about Hindu references in Sikh scripture without people going mental one way or the other. We can talk about politics and not pipe out the regular line.

Anyway you probably have two choices now? Either continue with the legacy and cater for intelligent, cutting edge debate or, start to 'dumb down' a bit to allow for the 'youth' or new comers to get in.

I would suggest 'compartmentalising' things more clearly and targeting various groups in this way. By this I mean having solid sections on literature, language, theology, art etc. that are cutting edge in these areas. I think the ground work has already been set for this. But it needs a face lift.

In a world where mass consumption seems to be the ideal I feel I have to say that the forum is a breathe of fresh air. It certainly has helped me in untold ways to get closer to my faith by letting me explore it without being beaten with the dogmatic stick all the time.

I think you need to try and figure out what kind of readership you want and make strategic moves to fine tune content to 'capture' them.

Sorry for the random splurg!

Edited by dalsingh101

Addition:

Sikhs need leading and guiding right now.

Maybe this needs to be factored into any future strategy?

Just my personal opinion, dont know who else may share this view. I think the reason why we dont get many new members could be because some see this forum as a 'Sanatan/Nihang' forum....many years back I even thought the same!

We hardly have any taksali's and other samparedeh on here because they MAY feel like we wouldnt agree with what they say as some on this forum take things from a Nihang point of view(if that make's sense).

Just my 2 pugh's.

lol, so true. It seems that every person who I've told in real life that I read SA has responded back with ''isn't that a nang forum?''

SS isn't really anti-nihang, just very anti-bhang and meat consumption, whereas the heavy promotion of those by some members earned this forum a rather black label.

- Lack of stability , at times unreliable as far site performance goes.

- Total failure in promoting SikhAwareness website to both non members and inactive of SikhAwareness, failure in advertisement department ie- google search engine results etc.

- Lack of forum upgrades, upgrades to site interface, upgrades to increase performance due to time constraints, family commitment, would appreciate someone helping from technical background.

- Went down few times

- Inconsistent amount of post per day on forum.

- Failed to gather all Sikh jathebandiyas of panth ie- 3ho, akj on SikhAwareness to do vichar on the forum.

- Sometimes due to laxness, people taking advantage of using SikhAwareness as a platform to push their agenda by provoking posts or going off-topics.

Please discuss??

-Many people search google for Sikhi related questions. This site often has the best answers but due to poor indexing (or whatever you call it), few people end up here.

- fixing this could result in people who had previously decided to ignore SA as bias giving this place a second chance.

- Perhaps it would be helpful to have resources on this forum better indexed? it would take a lot of time to create a master index, but it would be a huge resource. If a little bit is indexed each day, it probably won't take much time out of a person's day to day life either.

-The site's search engine is horrid.

-perhaps cross promotion with another site? SS is really the most catch all and most general of all sites. And given the intellectual nature of this site, I don't think it's going to become as generally appealing anytime soon. Although it's appeal can certainly be widened to a great degree.

Edited by Xylitol

SS isn't really anti-nihang, just very anti-bhang and meat consumption, whereas the heavy promotion of those by some members earned this forum a rather black label.

That's why many members hated me on that forum and wanted me off lol.

i'd disagree with comment that other sikh forums are not against nihang maryada. its not that some people have views of promoting bhang/meat that has led to negative treatment by mods on those forums but blatant bias and childish "picking on" whilst favouritism with others.

in fact this happens with many other sikh groups too. discussions on american sikhs/nirmala/udasi/etc also go badly as mods (with other ids) & lackeys steer them in an RSS direction. is everyone "sanaatani" to these people?

even discussion of Baani goes badly as so much Baani is not accepted by the fanatics they attract in droves like flies around the turd of ignorance.

i'd say those mods see the world in black & white, have an inferiority complex and know that if they let discussions run & they weren't editing & filtering posts, putting people under moderation or banning certain members that the truth would out..

here, i'm glad to say its a big positive effect that the forum has the right roots. mods let people openly discuss "sikh issues" considered to be taboo.

most of the comments about attracting numbers can be worked on. bit of google ad marketing would go a long way. putting google ads on the site would give extra funds for better hosting (if necessary). i'll happily chip in towards costs.

posts may be fewer but the effort, thought and depth is mind-blowing !!

not everyone can be a treasure-hunter but this forum will always be a treasuretrove

Edited by Parchand

lol@

"the fanatics they attract in droves like flies around the turd of ignorance"

very poetically put!

I think that it would be good to have beginners , intermediate and Advance sections , because certain terminolgy for e.g taksalli , akaali , akj ..... dont know there background or meaning , hence limiting especialy me in contributing to certain topics . It would be good to have a structure , something like

The start of sikhism , how it evolved , its principals etc...( this section would be fact based with references from books, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ... ( what our Gurus taught us ... i know its open to interpretation but theres many works of scholars / writers out there which ones are authentic , which ones would you suggest to others , which internet sites are authentic ..... I understand the main purpose of this site is to make people aware about sikhism so everyone walks the same walk , talks the same talk ....... whats the starting point for a novice ... then build upon it , have deeper discussions once basic understanding of the Sikhism( all areas) is highlighted and understood ...... like Pinderpal Singhs Katha .... its very good , I understand bits and bobs , but other times he has lost me completely ... what sources has he read , should we do the same ? if so what are they ?.... whats the starting point ?

because i believe all religions teachings are good , and the path is already laid out for us 5-600 years ago , but its us humans that change religion according to our needs , i think highlight the changes have a do's and dont's section according to Sikhism .

Also Have a section on seva ... like Khalsa Aid ... what they have done or are doing , what there projects are , if any seva dar as assisted Khalsa Aid what there experiences are etc... I appreciate they have there own website , but would be good to have information about several charities

• 2 months later...

I'm very glad to see a forum where the moderators and admins don't delete your posts if they don't agree with you, where the mods/admins do follow their own rules and don't act like pakhandis, where the admins/mods don't act like children and we can openly discuss all kind of things.

I still think a section devoted to language is a good idea myself. <hint hint>

I'm very glad to see a forum where the moderators and admins don't delete your posts if they don't agree with you, where the mods/admins do follow their own rules and don't act like pakhandis, where the admins/mods don't act like children and we can openly discuss all kind of things.

Keep on buttering admin and mods and they will allow all your posts .LOL :D

On serious side I totally agree with you that free and unbiased forums are best

Thanks for your feedback dalsingh101..section devoted to language? are we talking about various languages like sanskrit, farsi, persian or more gurmukhi and shamukhi based?

Thanks for your feedback dalsingh101..section devoted to language? are we talking about various languages like sanskrit, farsi, persian or more gurmukhi and shamukhi based?

I was thinking more Gurmukhi based. Actually no need for a new section, maybe just add a line to the description of the literature section and state that Gurmukhi/Panjabi based material belongs here?