why is dancing considered bad??

Nectar

its all about controlling the mind

man asaadhh saadhhai jan koe

The mind is uncontrollable; how rare are those who subdue it.

panch chaelae mil bheae eikathraa eaekas kai vas keeeae

I have brought the five disciples together, and they are now under the control of the one mind.

breham giaanee lae dhhaavath bandhhaa

The God-conscious being holds his wandering mind under control.

dhhaavath raakhai thaak rehaaeae

He restrains his wandering mind, and keeps it under control.

nadharee eihu man vas aavai nadharee man niramal hoe

By His grace, this mind is controlled, and by His Grace, it becomes pure.

man vasagath aaeiaa param padh paaeiaa saa dhhan kanth piaaree

The bride obtains the supreme status, as her mind is brought under control; she is the beloved of her Husband Lord

thaakahu manooaa raakhahu thaae

Control your mind, and keep it in its place.

sathigur saevae man vas aavai man maarae manehi samaaeidhaa

Serving the True Guru, one brings his mind under control; conquering his mind, he merges in the Mind of God.

maarafath man maarahu abadhaalaa milahu hakeekath jith fir n maraa

Let control of the mind be your spiritual wisdom, O holy man; meeting with God, you shall never die again.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beast you are trying to "win" the argument using ridiculous examples

are you now trying to make me say that we shouldnt read bani!!!!

The topic title is why is dancing considered bad??

the answer cos Gurbani says so!!!!!

see previous quotes

stick to topic and try not to sly in your argument

Just for your minds pleasure

YOU WIN YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG I AM A LOSER

hope this makes your mind feel better

as wrong as this may sound to you all,

but what makes you think that you understand gurbani? I am being very serious here. It seems like people take gurbani as a joke and use dhur ki baani as a lawbook more than an avenue to grow. I also see people twisting gurbani for their personal vendettas, using gurbani as an oracle via these hidden meanings in hukamnama's, reading sikhi on the max and taking it literally.

My honest suggestion is this, get your hands on a "couple" of translations done by older vidhvaans. ie. bhai veer singh, giani kirpal singh, giani gurbachan singh. Then sit down and look at the shabad..first look at the uthanka (the historical context), then look at the contextualization of the words. ie..what is the rahau line?. What, I have found by doing most of this is that..when you are attached or in bairaag to god, other things don't mean anything and they are felt as evil because they become the "shreek" or as our muslim brothers/sisters say "idols" to waheguru.

if one wants to understand guruji, they have to go deeper and try to understand guruji's mindset, approach to life etc. guru nanak devji was known to be a jolly fellow, do you think a jolly fellow would be THAT draconian?

something to ponder.

wicked post, drawrof...

that's why you don't see me quoting gurbani much.......because it can very much mean something really different than what i think it means especially relyin on english translations. :shock:

:LOL:

i love how all of this always comes down to retardedness like this...

anywho, i was gonna say something intellectual, and now i forgot it.

so i'll say it simply instead:

AguptKaur, it's always important to see in which context the quote is given. i saw tableji's shabad, and yes, it mentioned dancing. but moreso than that, it mentioned quite implicitly that the point is not to let the mind wander.

if you feel that your mind is going to get out of control because you dance, or you sing, or you watch tv, or you speak to friends, or you enjoy your food, or anything else, then truly you should stop doing those things.

but i don't think that the point is for us to STOP having fun in life. the point is not to get so involved in it, that we surrender everything over to unimportant matters.

where is the harm in being happy as well as being on the path?

i think that dancing is fine, really speaking. there's nothing wrong in it, unless you see something wrong in it.

but then again, not everyone enjoys dancing, so not everyone has to dance. it's a personal choice.

but i sincerely doubt whether someone such as Guru Nanak, who was an amazing poet (and most likely musician?... among other things) would have told us to live a bland life.

i think he would've wanted us to be challenged to not fall into any extremes (all credit goes to narsinghi, here).

that's the key: balance.

you shouldn't have any extremes of anything. moderation is needed.

i think THAT is what we're supposed to learn to do.

but then again, tha's just my lowly uninformed opinion. it's probably just koor for you.

Did Sant Jernail Singh Jee dance? NO

Did Sant Ishar Singh Jee dance? NO

Did Baba Mitt Singh Jee dance? NO

We should strive to live up to the Jeevans of these great Gursikhs instead of indulging in Kanjari Naach. Why try to emulate Marasis and Kanjars when we can follow the ways of warrior-saints like Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa.

Did Sant Jernail Singh Jee dance? NO

Did Sant Ishar Singh Jee dance? NO

Did Baba Mitt Singh Jee dance? NO

We should strive to live up to the Jeevans of these great Gursikhs instead of indulging in Kanjari Naach. Why try to emulate Marasis and Kanjars when we can follow the ways of warrior-saints like Sant Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa.

Are you suggesting 'anyone' who dances is a Kanjar/Kanjari?? Now what is a Dance, the movement of your body in tune to a Rythem of music?? Can you dance without Music? if so then Your walking is a form of a Dance, it is rythmic with your breath, your heartbeat. Even Gatka is a form of Dancing with your weapons, have you seen Singhs so eligenty move thru the air without missing a beat. The Cosmic Rythm provides the ground for us to Dance. Blame God for creating such a Rythm.

Nihangs would listen or recite Jaap Sahib while doing practise...in that n state of mind(bir ras)..nihangs going kamla(crazy)/ full mast and start doing fast movements..wouldn't that qualified as spiritual dancing??

everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man..everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag..when one gets bairaag , its above maryada, gurmat(word hijacked by fanatics), anti-gurmat whatever you want to call it.

This remind of an sakhi of siri mati sant biba who was a student/murid of "Sant baba Karam Singh Hoti Mardanwaley".

After she leen in bhram(meged with god)..she wouldn't wear any clothes..not even one single bit....any clothes...she would sit, eat, walk all naked....she was full mast in "Sat Chit Anand Saroop Vahiguroo"... she would just live in her bhora, go out when she has to ..no katarpanthi even dared to look into her eyes and tell her "why you doing this?? she has that much tej-pratap...

would u also call her kanjari?? khalsa fauji and singh47...

I don't expect you guys to understand that sakhi..only people who know "prem has no limits" can understand this...

Damn...I can't believe this topic has gotten so many replies. :shock:

Honestly I don't see what is so wrong with dancing. As far as I know, the Gurus did not want us to become ascetics. Some people are just too over the top when they think 'dancing' must be stopped. Noting wrong with dancing man, relax. Live and let live. Enjoy your life and PLEASE don't sit around worrying about something so inconsequential...

I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as most of the people on this board when it comes to Sikhi, but I had throw in my two cents. 8)

everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man..everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag..when one gets bairaag , its above maryada, gurmat(hijacked by fanatics), anti-gurmat whatever you want to call it.

I think that describes exactly what i feel. That there exist such a stage where one dives so deep within the Love/Vairaag of his/her beloved taht which NO Maryada, NO Rehit can hold back. It is beyond the Laws setforth by Religions. It is an escape from the boundries of Religin and into the boundryless Field of Inner Bliss and expression.

Beast wrote:

wiked!

I for one pledge to drink as much sukha and take as opium as Baba Gurbax Singh was said to.

Vah Ji Vah!

Then maybe you should also emulate the rehet Baba Gurbaksh Singh Jee kept, such as wearing of Neela NIhang Bana 24/7, waking up at amritvela everyday, memorizing the entire Panj Granthi(besides the Nitnem) and last but not least become a Shaheed like him.

Then the entire world would look at you and truly say 'Vaah Jee Vaah!!'

N30 Singh wrote:

"everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man..everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag..when one gets bairaag , its above maryada, gurmat((hijacked by fanatics)), anti-gurmat whatever you want to call it."

Sorry to say but that is nothing but you own Manmat. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING in this universe is above GURMAT. Using you own logic, one might as well say that if man is in ‘bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag’ then he can even rape a women, after all, he is in ‘bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man’ isn’t he? Some might even argue if one is in ‘bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man’ then it is even justifiable to murder someone, after all “everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaag man..everything is allowed in bairaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagâ€