Greetings from Iran!

Guest Javanmard

Guest Javanmard

Gurfateh and salaams to all!

Just wanted to send you all greetings from Iran. Some people have been sending me pms about certain issues. I'll try to reply to them all when I return mid/september. I have to tell Iran is an amazing country. The friendliness and hospitality of people here is even beyond what I have seen in India. If you have a chance do visit Iran. Tehran is a vibrant and amazing city and the safest place I have been so far. Families come to play badmington or volleyball in the city's many parks until 2 or 3 am. People here have really great fun much more than what I have ever seen in Paris or London.

I was amazed to be asked by a revolutionary guard if I was a darvesh. And even more amazed to find that he was himself a Ahl e Haqq, part of a Shi'a Sufi order.

Anyways I am in Mashad now on the birthday of Imam Mahdi. The shrine of Imam Reza (as) is just beyond description. It is truly a palace built for the Soltan e Khorassan.

with love

Bahadur Ali Singh

ps As much as Iranians are amazing, Afghans here in Mashad suck big time! :twisted:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea how jealous I am right now! I was in the United Arab Emirates until June and miss it so badly.

I visited a part of Iran, an island off its coast called Kish briefly in January 2005 as I had to exit and re-enter the United Arab Emirates as part of the visa renewal procedures. We were taken to a hotel for stay where they had the world's slowest internet connection (LOL I am not kidding). The incharge didn't really know about computers. In broken English he asked me "India?" (not are you Indian, just India...LOL). I nodded my head. Then he asks "Sikh?" I nod my head again. And then he goes "Come my friend" and took me to the computer terminal area.

I am gonna have to agree with you on the friendly nature of the Iranians. What amazes me is their clear conversation in Urdu. You can communicate so easily with them! Some people even say that they are sweet enough to make you feel diabetic. And they have a lot of respect for Sikhs as well. One of my friend's sisters is married into a Sikh family based in Tehran, and they say there are 500 Sikh families there, and they also have a Gurdwara.

Hope you have a good one!

Guest Javanmard

I have just come from Mashad where I stayed up all night during the night of the birth of Imam Mahdi. Amazing 4 million people!!! And the shrine is magic. When you go and visit Imam Reza (as) you feel in the presence of a king. the sevadars spray expensive attar perfume over the people, and in all the courtyards they light huge incense containers. People like in India put their hands over the incense smoke as a blessing. Unlike Amritsar the shrine is in perfect condition and any modern extention is built in the same traditional style. They also serve langar here at the langar khaneh of Imam Reza (as).

I have also been to Qom at the shrine of Fatimah Masumeh (as) the sister of Imam Reza (as). Amazing. I was able to pray over the tomb of the great arif (brahmgiani) Sayyid Hossein Tabatabai. Intense moment.

Because I look Iranian people think I am a darvesh and it has opened up doors for me. I am invited to Sufi ceremonies normally closed to strangers. Without exagerating I can safely say people here are more spiritual than in India. All I can say is I have deeply fallen in love with this country. Will post pictures when I come back.

I have also bought a taar, a Persian instrument close to sitar. My Ahl e Haqq friends have agreed to try and play Bhai Nand Lal Goya's poems in pure Persian music. This project will take time but I feel it's worth it. Also I feel people's interest in Indian spirituality may leed people to become Nanakshahi Shi'e. It would be wonderful to bring back the Khalsa tradition to the country it originally came from.

ba eshghe man khoda Hafez Shoma

Bahadur Ali Singh

Guest Javanmard

Yeah I have something against India LOL that's new. John just shut up!If I hate India so much why did I leanr sanskrit for 6 years, teach Panjabi and Urdu for three years at uni and taught Indian religions. John you're an idiot! Judge when you know someone!

As for the Khalsa tradition sorry to inform you but kande di pahul is as Safavi Shi'a as langar. I know it sounds harsh but if you have a problem with that .... tough!

Guest Javanmard

I tink it's you who has a problem with being Indian...John (very Indian)

I am just comparing the situation the situation between Iran and India. Sorry if Iranians are proud of their culture unlike many people in India. If you want to change that then do something about instead of crying like a kid!

As for the Khalsa: all the initiation rituals of the Khalsa derive from Safavi chivalry rituals. You don't like it? Tough!

Javan Mard, why dont the sufis let strangers turn up to their programmes?

do you speak fluent persian?

the afgahns in Mashad are mostly refugess of the afgahn -soviet confluct in the 1980s. i had read that the irianian govt were trying to force them back to afgahnistan. is thie true? also are the afghans mostly sunnis, and how do they feel taking sanctuary from shias?

Guest Javanmard

Yes it is called like that. I haven't been there so far, too busy visiting khanighahs and learning how to play taar. But yeah the Afghans in Mashad are just bad news. The kids are awfully rude, the women beg in the street and sell more than just perfume and the men sell heroin. I don't know one Iranian who doesn't want to get rid of these pesar e sag!

Sufis don't have programmes they're not a bridge club so... they are secretive because of the mullahs. certain spiritual truths are best kept appart from the ignorant masses.

Guest Javanmard

What...so EVERY Iranian is proud of their culture are they?

And just because you say that the Amrit practices are from Shias, you expect me to just take your word for it?

I don't expect you... you're nobody to me. sorry

Guest Javanmard

Depends on the mullahs. Many mullahs hate spirituality because it takes people away from their sphere of influence. Some others love it. It all depends. The thing is that many mullahs have personal gangs of basijis and it's best to be cautious about these things.

Guest Javanmard

The proof lies in the books that I mentioned ages ago which you don't care to look at. I posted the titles of the books and NONE of you read them so yes when you come with your "what's the proof attitude" it really starts to get on my nerves. Again just for you here are the books:

-Ayin e javanmardi by Henry Corbin

- Die Schiitische Sufi Orden Persiens, by Gramlich

- Futuwwah Nameh ye Soltani, by Allamah Hossain al Kashifi

All the proceedings of the amrit ceremony can be traced back to these sources which deal with Iranian Shi'a chivalry orders. As usual whenever I give the title of books on this forum NOBODY reads them but EVERYONE is ready to give me the 'what's the proof attitude' so.... gum sho!!! (get lost in farsi)

Javanmard are any of these titles available in english. Unfortunately my frenceh is limited to the knowledge of different parts of Eurodisney and asking for chocolate croissants! While my German is limited to abusing peoples mothers!! Unfortunately that is all i can remember from my languages courses!!! Typical