Defence Against Negative Influence, Bhootpret Etc

Kaljug

Fateh!

So, for reasons I don't want to go into, I am at the present obliged to spend some time most days of the week in places where people have died painfully, usually after much suffering, and sometimes by their own hand, and I find that it is having a negative influence on my experience of naam simran.

I'm usually in a sort of "blue" mood afterwards from being in contact with such a noxious atmosphere, but that is pretty normal (I'm used to this and passes with time), but I'm finding recently that my mind is continually dragged down to thinking about these places and people when I am doing naam simran, with the effect that I feel worn out rather than peaceful and elated. It seems to be more compulsive than a rational appreciation of the suffering of fellow sentient beings, which makes me believe that it is an outside influence (likely the aura of the places themselves than actual spooks) rather than my own mind.

I have some tricks at my disposal that I use to clean myself of these influences, but I wonder what the Sikh solution would be to such things. In the past, I've found Chandi di Var works wonders, but I'm not able to recite it with my nitnem and naam simran because I go to sleep afterwards.

What would you suggest?

K.

but I'm finding recently that my mind is continually dragged down to thinking about these places and people....

WJKK! WJKF!

Maybe that's the problem - don't think too much about it. Jap Ji Sahib paath protects against bhoot/ preyt etc but maybe in your case, the problem is that you're being affected by what you see and hear during the day to the extent that your mind goes back there even if you don't want it too.

A visual stimulus can help during Simran at times like this - you can write out 'Waheguru' in Gurmukhi on a card or paper and position it at eye level. Start Simran by looking at this then carry on as you normally do, but if you feel your mind wandering then slightly open your eyes and focus on Waheguru again. If you can get to Sangat after work in the evenings for Kirtan or sewa at the Gurudwara, that will help your mind let go of what you've seen during the day.

Do you eat at this place as well?

Edited by Matheen

WJKK! WJKF!

Maybe that's the problem - don't think too much about it. Jap Ji Sahib paath protects against bhoot/ preyt etc but maybe in your case, the problem is that you're being affected by what you see and hear during the day to the extent that your mind goes back there even if you don't want it too.

A visual stimulus can help during Simran at times like this - you can write out 'Waheguru' in Gurmukhi on a card or paper and position it at eye level. Start Simran by looking at this then carry on as you normally do, but if you feel your mind wandering then slightly open your eyes and focus on Waheguru again. If you can get to Sangat after work in the evenings for Kirtan or sewa at the Gurudwara, that will help your mind let go of what you've seen during the day.

Do you eat at this place as well?

Fateh!

I should have been a little more clear. I'm not really thinking about these people at all, I just have a feel of being burdened by their suffering when I am trying to do simran. It's hard to explain, but it's like I'm carrying back a portion of the unpleasant aura of the places.

Sadly there is no chance for sangat before I go back home because I usually finish at a few ours before amritvela.

The visual cues for simran is a good idea. I will try that.

Thanks,

K.

Fateh!

I just have a feel of being burdened by their suffering when I am trying to do simran.

In that case, listening to Kirtan as Shaheediyan Veer ji mentions above will help. As will, and this is from personal experience, doing Jap Ji Sahib Paath - at least 5 a day on top of your regular Nitnem. Also visit the Gurudwara when you are free and do sewa, listen to Kirtan etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Ive been told many times by my friend that if you are negative you'll attract negative energies. If you are postive you'll attract postive energy. If you hang around people who are negative, its hard to think postive.

A good way I found that works is when a someone says something negative, try to see the postive side. For something that is negative there has to be a postive side, otherwise there wouldnt be a negative side to begin with. Over time it should become automatic thinking postive.

Ofcourse its hard to see people suffering. Feeling sorry for them also shows heart.

Edited by Mystical

Recite the following quotes from Guru Granth Sahib Ji:

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਉਰ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਪਸੁ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ ਮੁਘਦ ਪਾਥਰ ਕਉ ਤਾਰੈ ॥

ਸਰਬ ਰੋਗ ਕਾ ਅਉਖਦੁ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਕਲਿਆਣ ਰੂਪ ਮੰਗਲ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਮ ॥

ਪਸੂ ਪਰੇਤ ਮੁਗਧ ਕਉ ਤਾਰੇ ਪਾਹਨ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਾਰੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੈ ॥੪॥੧॥੪॥

• 1 month later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Just wanted to thank y'all for sharing your wisdom and to share what worked for me.

I found reciting or listening to Asa Di Var in the mornings helped a lot, also doing Ardas in the mornings and evenings to give peace and liberation to any wandering lost soul with whom I might come into contact. Doing joray di seva every time one goes to the gurdwara alsa.

I firmly believe that these kind of things are there to give one impetus to further one's bhagti, but there are a couple of simple things you can do to get rid of these things if you feel they are causing more trouble than you can handle.

First is to take a bath (western bath, not desi bath) in heavily salted water. Lie in the water for around 20 mins. This is also good for getting rid of obsessive thoughts.

Second is to burn incence on coals with your windows open. Dragons blood resin is traditional in some circles, but you can also burn a tiny quantity of asafoetida (hing in punjabi) on coals over the course of a week or so in your home. A tiny amount because it stinks and will likely banish all of your friends as well as bhootpret. It's a good idea to burn regular dhoop and jyot for a week afterwards in your house because hing can pretty much destroy any pleasant aura you house might have accumulated over the years also (can make your house uncomfortable to live in - even after the smell has departed).

Regards,

K.

Edited by Kaljug

Throw sea salt in your house on the floor for couple of hours. Let it sink all the negative energy and then just broom the floor and throw it out. It really helps. We are born and we will die and that's the reality of our life and in between "Maya" plays it's role. You may also want to try "Past life Regressions" if you have built possession phobia in your mind.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all and Kaljug Jee!

Please ponder. Gurdev is singing.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਕਹਤ ਜਮੁ ਭਾਗਿ ਪਲਾਇਣ ॥

नाराइण कहत जमु भागि पलाइण ॥

Nārā▫iṇ kahaṯ jam bẖāg palā▫iṇ.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਦੰਤ ਭਾਨੇ ਡਾਇਣ ॥੨॥

नाराइण दंत भाने डाइण ॥२॥

Nārā▫iṇ ḏanṯ bẖāne dā▫iṇ. ||2||

. . . . .

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ ॥

नाराइण साधसंगि नराइण ॥

Nārā▫iṇ sāḏẖsang narā▫iṇ.

ਬਾਰੰ ਬਾਰ ਨਰਾਇਣ ਗਾਇਣ ॥

बारं बार नराइण गाइण ॥

Bāraʼn bār narā▫iṇ gā▫iṇ. SGGS Ang 868

I hope you have understood the Gur.

Balbir Singh

• 2 months later...

I find some bani /simran will have a stronger effect on dhian than others. basically, the higher your dhian, the easier it is for u. so try listening on your ipod to such bani that has a strong effect. bani uchaarned with correct pronounciation, done by sants is stronger in effect.

Try this shabad. Try and recite it 11 times before you go into the place where you work. After a while you should be able to memorise it and recite it everyday. I have personally found that it helps greatly in situations such as yours.

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਥਿਰੁ ਘਰਿ ਬੈਸਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥

Remain steady in the home of your own self, O beloved servant of the Lord.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

The True Guru shall resolve all your affairs. ||1||Pause||

ਦੁਸਟ ਦੂਤ ਪਰਮੇਸਰਿ ਮਾਰੇ ॥

The Transcendent Lord has struck down the wicked and the evil.

ਜਨ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖੀ ਕਰਤਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

The Creator has preserved the honor of His servant. ||1||

ਬਾਦਿਸਾਹ ਸਾਹ ਸਭ ਵਸਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੀਨੇ ॥

The kings and emperors are all under his power;

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮ ਮਹਾ ਰਸ ਪੀਨੇ ॥੨॥

he drinks deeply of the most sublime essence of the Ambrosial Naam. ||2||

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇ ਭਜਹੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥

Meditate fearlessly on the Lord God.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਨੋ ਦਾਨੁ ॥੩॥

Joining the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, this gift is given. ||3||

ਸਰਣਿ ਪਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥

Nanak has entered the Sanctuary of God, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts;

ਨਾਨਕ ਓਟ ਪਕਰੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥੪॥੧੦੮॥

he grasps the Support of God, his Lord and Master. ||4||108|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Iqf82O5u4&feature=related

Edited by tonyhp32