Chatka Video at Hazoor Sahib , not for the faint of heart !!

Ragmaala

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

das

Have you got more information on this i.e. chatka not allowed ( It should be completely banned)

I was also speaking to someone , who read an article stating that someone from the states tried to oppose the jatkha "ceremony " , he got beaten up ( I'm trying to get hold of the article ) hopefully we can get enought proof to evict these people .

all you lot need to chill, this maryada has been going on for three hundred years, from the time sri satguru gobind singh ji sache patshah, why are you getting your kachere in a twist?

when a load of mahapursh went to sri sachkhand sahib to get maryadas for their samprayadas why wasnt the issue raised then if it was soo wrong.

all you lot need to chill, this maryada has been going on for three hundred years, from the time sri satguru gobind singh ji sache patshah, why are you getting your kachere in a twist?

when a load of mahapursh went to sri sachkhand sahib to get maryadas for their samprayadas why wasnt the issue raised then if it was soo wrong.

Anyone who wishes to impose strict vegetarian code on all sikhs, please answer this point first.

Would the mahapursh have ignored this going on in the Gurdwara complex if they thought it was totally wrong?

were they too scared to say anything?

or were they not real mahapursh?

even namdhari guru, Partap Singh Ji, went to Sach Khand Sahib and sent his followers to Sach Khand Sahib to get the maryada, why wasnt a big objection made then?

The issue of eating meat or not is a purely subjective moral decision that EVERYONE has to make. Remember Sri Satguru Granth Sahib is not DICTATORIAL rather it gives us choices so that everything lies on our conscious being and Karam, which leads us how to lead our Dharam.

Otherwise with what right can Sri Akaal Ji condemn and salvage if everything is preordained?

if I am not wrong, then this chatka does NOT take place in the main Gurdwara.......it takes place in some Nihang Gurdwara near Main Gurdwara Sahib...........may be this is the reason that many Mahapurashs has not spoken about it because most of the time Mahapurashs visit main Gurdwara Sahib.......baki Mahapurakh diyian te Mahapurakh he janan....I don't know.

Moreover, "Maha Kharag Singh" could you please mention any reference that this chatka is a continuing practice since Guru Gobind Singh Jis time WITH HIS approval.

If something was occuring since Guru Jis time (e.g murders, injustice etc.) it does NOT mean that it was allowed practice......something can be said to be ok ONLY if GURU Ji has approved or ordered it.

e.g Guru Ji did hunting (to udhar some jeev atma) but this does NOT mean it is approved and ok practice for us to do hunting.

Das,

The Jhatka does take place outside the main complex at Hazoor Sahib - not at some other place, as the video clearly showws.

Pracchin Panth Parkash by Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu Shahid holds various accounts of when maharaj ordered the Singhs to perform Jhatka. You will find similar references in many of our historical texts.

Did maharaj used to go hunting on their own or with their fauj? The 6th Gurus and 10th Guru were keen hunters and their fauj has carried on this tradition - if people have problem with this they should take it up with maharaj - end of story.

You guys are missing the point big time , let me add " WE CANNOT COMPARE OURSELVES TO THE GURUS or EVEN CONTEMPLATE WHY THEY DID IT , WE PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT WE THINK IS THE NORM "

Jatka of a poor goat is nothing to do with Sikhi in the 21st century. I believe it is a big deal , a very big deal, it is completely wrong. This kind of thing breaks the sikhs , this kind of thing causes friction between sikhs not following one maryada.

sri Guru Gobind Singh ji , when in battle had arrows which had gold on them so that if the enemy was injured/died then the family could use the gold to get proper help for the victim or its family. How many of us have thought about this and if in battle are prepared to help / think about the enemy ? I agree in the times of the Gurus , hunting ws carried out but I can guarantee that when the animal was killed , Guru Ji had a full explanation of its background .

, Guru Ji also gave up its whole family for rightesousness / justice . So does that mean you are ready to sacrifice your family .

Sorry guys this is completely wrong and something must be done

This is completely wrong , and should be banned .

.. i have to say it.. i didnt want to .. but i have to.. im still trying to hold back.. but .. i cant.. shall i say it? shall i not? will it advance my life as a gursikh.. will it get me closer to the guru?

Mas mas kar murakh chagre .. :)

Neo made me do it !

What gives anyone the right to claim one living being is greater then another, the goat eats grass, it picks on the poor helpless grass, in a way by eating the goat one is stopping the oppression of grass.

But then again the grass eats the sun!..

Now I also have a full explanation and background .. and im not claiming to compare myself to any Guru..

I went to some concert last night, and while the dude jammed on his sarangi guitar looking object, I had an elightenment moment, I realised what if the string could only play one note, like a keyboard with only one key.. a language with only one letter, a sound with only one tone.

It would be crap !

the range of notes all belong to one string, it is just a different vibration, and sometimes the composition requires a particular note to be the most significant and at another time in another composition that note is completely ignored.

The point im trying to make is all these so called frictions in sikhi you mention, they are notes, vegis, naamdharis, nihangs, kamalroops, and trying to include all notes in one compositon will ruin it.. the composition is being played by akaal as he desires, the notes are the different views and beliefs, but the most important thing is that in the end we are all part of one instrument, the instrument of Guru Nanak, so if one note emphasises the eating of goats, so be it, it has its own twang.. and the note that dictates one should savagely eat poor carrots plucked from the womb of the earth, by their green leafy kesh, and then chopped to pieces or boiled alive, ignorant of their tiny unhearable screams !! (what egos we have as humans to only care about that which we see as alive because it resembles our own image more so then a carrot) also has its own twang,

now your job is not to emulate any other twang but the twang of your own heart so that it plays true, and when satguru parsad comes, then akaal shall place his finger upon your soul and twang the string of sikhi in you heart and you shall go.. twing !!.. and then the next note shall play.. and all sounds awesome..

but if you spend all your time trying to enforce all notes to sound the same, well then you sound like me when I sing in the shower

- Firstly, Goat eat grass because its his food; grass eats sun because its his food. But goat is neither the food of Shasters nor the food of a Sikh.

- Secondly, from background means is what was the grass in its previous life and what Karma it did in its previous life that forces it to be grass and be eaten by goat and vice-versa.

- Thirdly, could you please explain in detail the exact situation or Sakhi regarding when Guru Gobind Singh Ji ordered for chatka of goat? The only context I have heard (I am NOT sure whether this is true or not) is when our Fauj was fighting with Mugals and for 40 straight days they went without food. At this 2 muslim sewadars offered goats and said his is the only thing they have. At this GuruJi ordered their army to have this by chatka. I am NOT sure if this sakhi is true or not. But lets suppose if this is true and this is the ONLY reason behind today's chatka, then is it fair to do this today as we doNOT have that circumstances. Do you happen to know another Sakhi where Guru Ji ordered to chatka REGULARLY. Guru Ji might have ordered this ONCE in order to give mukti to that goat, but please enlighten us with the sakhi where Guru Ji allowed/ordered the chatka to take place regularly and do tilak of Shastars every year??

- Fourthly, when I was young I heard that if big talwar needs to be taken outside its cover then it needs khoon BUT most of the old persons used to cut their finger so that the khoon can be placed on the talwar. But nowhere I have heard that khoon should be of the animal. Again, I don't know whether this is true or not, this is something one knows from very old people who used to retain big talwars.

- If Guru Gobind Singh killed any animal in hunting or ordered their Sikhs to do hunting then it means that Guru Ji was providing Mukti to that animal. I have NOT heard Guru asking us to do chatka every year and tilak of shasters with goat's khoon.

I might be misinformed, but could you please explain what is achieved spiritually through chatka?? I also understand that in the past there was bali provided of various animals in order to make Demi-Gods happy, but what is the reason here?

We fully understand that whatever happens is the GOD's WILL but still we can enquire about what is the actual purpose of chatka. I am just trying to understand the core reason behind all this.

Does anyone has any recorded Bachans (against or in favour) from Sants like: Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji (Rara Sahib), Sant Attar Singh Ji (Reru Sahib), Sant Karam Singh Ji (Hotimardan Wale), Sant Nand Singh Ji (Nanaksar Wale)?

das

Das very good post , the issue is not about eating meat , the issue is about performing jatka at one the Tackt Sahibs ( Hazur Sahib) and then taking the head of the goat into the gurudawara , to put tilak on the shastra - Come on is this right ? I dont think so

You talking about notes included in the same composition , ( what you are taking about are Human made notes ) That is the biggest problem . The utmost truth , the highest of the high is sri Guru granth sahib ji , you cannot go wrong following it , reading it and practicing it - 100% guaranteed . The problem is when you bring I into the conversation which you have by writing I went to a concert , etc.. one string ... This is not follwoing sikhi or has nothing to do with sikhi , follwoing Sri Guru Granth Sahib is , we humans make up our own rules hence all the different sects , as Baba Hardev Singh Lulon wale said , sikhs fighting amongst sikhs , sikhs believing in dehdari sikhs , the solution is simple and all falsehoods can be abolished ... solution is everyone to take Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as there Guru believe it to be your Guru... quite simple.

Another thing , why dont they recite japji sahib path for each of sastra they have , surely this would be more beneficial.

It is not about enforcing our own notes , the notes we should enforce should be from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji . all the same notes where ever you are.

everything is man made, including the ink and the paper, even the takhts and even the swords, they are all man made..

SGPC is a man made authority,

You say we should go by the Guru and note our own notes yet at the end of your first paragraph you end with "I dont think so.."

Stop I'ing hipo crit.

The only thing which is beyond man made interpretation is the ultimate truth, naam, God, Nirgun, etc etc and to be intune with that requires hearing that which is never heard (anhad) the unstruck sound, as many translations refer to it.

Im not saying that there are no badly tuned or mistuned notes, I've seen many vajas totally off tune, you press SA and some other MA comes out.

I have no intentions to offend, just to discuss to awaken my own mind and satisfy my own ego. IIIIIIIIIIII MEEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMME :P

To all those veggies against slaughtering delicious free-range, organic goats, worthy of being stacked in Fortnum & Mason's shelf; I have a question:

what about all the tablas at ALL gurdwaras that are made of animal skins. you play the drum then go and pick up a gutka/pothi without washing hands. Or what about the first sight that strikes you when you enter a temple - that of different types of animal skin'd shoes (not to mention the stench of stinking socks and shoes)? Or how 'bout the chaur made of peacock feather or other animal hair??

Or how about the the humans being slaughtered around the world or the sikh farmers in India who pollute the crops, rivers and feilds with pesticide and fertilisers causing massive rates of cancers??

And you get outraged because of a goat pop its clogs??

I understand that flesh thing is NOT black and white......... even we are made of flesh, the water we drink does has some living bacteria, the curd/yogurt which is served in almost every Gurdwara is prepared by the help of a bacteria........the air we breath does contain living bacteria etc. etc.......all this is explained in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

So, I understand that there is no use of always talking of vegetarian and related stuff but doing nothing.......but still I would like to understand the reason behind the chatka.......may Neo, and other senior members can help me to understand the following:

- What is the spiritual signifinance of chatka?

- When it originally started? Simply, saying that it was started from Guru Gobind Singh Ji's time is NOT a complete answer. What is the Sakhi related to it?

das

das veer, read the post on jhatka written by bahudar ali below, also listen to the audio of gyani thakur singh ji. He explains it well.

Here is the jhatka maryada as described in the old sarabloh.com website (pre-Nidarpanthi) from 2001:

If people become aware of the Maryada behind Jhatka, then hopefully they will be able to understand that it is far more that just people quenching their thirst for meat.

Please visit Image Library One "Jhatka : 'Death from a single blow'", to view a series of photos dealing with the process Jhatka.

To Akali Nihang Singhs the Maryada of Jhatka is a gift from our beloved Satguru. To see Jhatka as the consumption of meat is comparable to seeing Gur Ka Langar as the consumption of food.

Satguru Maharaajs Langar is far more than just the distribution of food, Gur Ka Langaar should be prepared with extreme Sucham (cleanliness), the Gursikhs involved should be reciting Gurbani or doing Naam Simran..

When the langar has been prepared it is then brought before Satguru Maharaaj and Ardas is offered. During the Ardas, the Gursikh will ask Satguru Jee to bless the Langar by touching it with a weapon, usually a small iron Kard (Blade). The Langar has now become Gur Ka Langar. It is much more than just food.

The availability of Gur Ka Langar to people of all castes, creed and colour is a philosophical extension of Gursikhi, it demonstrates in a physical manner the spiritual concept of equality and the love of humanity.

The Maryada of Jhatka, in the same vein is far more than just the consumption of meat. However many modern day Sikhs are unaware of the Maryada involved in Jhatka and the philosophical implications involved.

Damdami Taksaals 11th Jathedar Sant Baba Gurbhachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale, has written that if the time arises when a Gursikh needs to eat meat to survive, he should kill the animal with his own Sri Sahib (Sword). So the knowledge of what Jhatka is and how it is performed is of use to those who do not consume flesh on a regular basis.

The process of Jhatka begins with the appointment of a Nihang Singh that will take responsibility for this seva. The Nihang Singh is selected by the Jathedar (leader) of the Dal. The Jathedar will then perform Ardas in Satguru Granth Sahib Jees Hazoori, asking Satguru's agia (permission or blessing) to enroll this Nihang Singh onto this seva. After this process is complete the Nihang Singh in question will be referred to as an Ardasi Singh.

In Akali Nihang Dals only Ardasi Singhs can take part in Satguru's seva. Only Ardasi Singhs can prepare and touch Gur Ka Langaar, only Ardasi Singhs can sit on Satguru Maharaajs Tabia (next to Satguru Jee on his Throne), only Ardasi Singhs can prepare Karah Prshaad, Shaheedi Degh and Mahaprashaad.

The induction of Ardasi Singhs to do Satguru Jees seva ensures that no impostors or people of bad Rehit get anywhere near Satguru Jee Langar or Prshaad We must appreciate that many people use the Bana of the Satguru Khalsa Panth in order to scare people. These impostors are commonly referred to a 'admin-cut', or the naked ones. admin-cut are not a new phenomena, they have also been around for a very long time. Although they may look like Nihangs, the admin-cut have no love or understanding of the Dal Panths Maryada. When these fools are caught committing wrong deeds they are often seriously beaten, in some cases they may even be killed. The process of appointing Ardasi Singhs ensures that no 'admin-cut' get anywhere near Satguru Maharaajs Degh, Langar or Mahaprshaad. Only Nihang Singhs of good Rehit are given the honour of becoming an Ardasi Singh.

This maryada also applies to Jhatka, only Ardasi Singhs can take part in this seva. Having been appointed to do the Seva, the Ardasi Singh will begin his preparation for Jhatka by having Ishnaan (Bath). He will wash his body and his hair, having done this he will put on a Sucha Chola (clean garment), Karmkassa and Dumalla. Finally he will clean his Karah with Sand.

After having Ishnaan, the Ardasi Singh will commence his paath in Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Hazoori, Vaar Sri Bhagauti Jee Ki Patsahi 10 (also known as Chandi-di-Vaar). The Ardasi Nihang Singh must be able to recite this Shabad from memory. Var Sri Bhagauti Je Ki depicts the epic battle between the Goddess of War Chandi or Durga, and the egoistic rakhshas (evil demons). Satguru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj describes a battle of horrific magnitude, where Chandi, seated upon her tiger is dispatching the Evil Rakhshas. When he has completed the shabad, the Ardasi Singh does Namaskar and leaves Maharaajs Hazoori.

Whilst the Nihang Singh that is going to perform Jhatka contemplates Chandi-di Vaar, another Ardasi Singh gives the Bakra (old goat) a full ishnaan (bath). Only goats are used within Akali Nihang Dals for Jhatka. When questioned about why Goats are used for Jhatka, the Chardi Kala Nihang Singhs replied "this is the Maryada started by Satguru Hargobind Sahib Jee, and we have no intention of changing it. After bathing the Goat, it is bought into the area in which Jhatka will be performed.. This designated area will have straw or hay put down on the floor.

The Nihang Singh that is going to perform Jhatka calmly approaches the Goat. Some Nihang Singhs encircle the goat in Gatka Pentra (Movements associated with Shastr Vidia), this has the effect of calming the goat and making it feel comfortable seeing the Shastr (sword).

The Tilk Laguan Vala Singh (The Singh who is going to anoint his weapon) then stands next to the Goat, at this stage some Akali Nihangs begin to recite Shastr Naam Mala, this is a Shabd in Sri Dasm Satguru Granth Sahib jee depicting the glossary of Weapons.

Another Ardasi Singh will have splashed water on the neck of the Goat, this makes the cut much smoother.

The Nihang Singh continues to move his Sword, very slowly above the head of the Goat. The goat at this stage will keep moving his head back and forth, because it finds itself in a new situation, it is unsure how to react.

Again the Tilk Lagaun Vala Singh moves the Sword, who represents the Goddess Chandi above the head of the Goat, the Goat now begins to move less. The Nihang Singh waits for the right moment.

The Goat drops his head slightly, then in a single shin (The same amount of time as it takes an eye to blink) the Nihang Singh focuses his mind on Maha Kaal (Great Death), and infuses the Sword with his Kamai (Spiritual Power achieved via meditations), the Sword severs the head of the Goat and the onlooking Nihang Singhs let off Jaikarey (Battle Cries). Click here to listen to an Akali Nihang Singh Jaikara.

The blood that rushes out of the Goats body is collected in a Bata, this will be used to apply tilak to all of the Shastr in Satguru Granth Sahib Jee's Hazoori. This process also takes place at Sach Khand Sri Hazoor Sahib Jee, all of Satguru Gobind Singh Jee's weapons are anointed with blood. Some of the Purataan Akali Nihangs drink the blood neat, it is said to be a good source of iron.

The goats head is placed on a Sarbloh Plate and then shown to the Sangat, the purpose of this is to show that it has been with one clean cut. The Bibeeki Singhs (Nihang Singhs of very Strict Rehit) will only eat flesh that has been killed in a single blow, Jhatka. They will refuse to eat flesh even if one little blood-vessel remains in contact with the head and body, this is called Patka.

The Body of the Goat is now passed on to the Ardasi Nihang Singhs who are in control of the Langar. They will skin, chop and cook the flesh. Whilst cooking the flesh they will recite Gurbani of Dasm Sri Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaaj. After the flesh is cooked, a small amount of it is taken into Satguru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaajs Hazoori. Ardas is performed and the tip of the sword is dipped into the cooked flesh. Having performed Ardas, the flesh has become 'Mahaprashaad', the great Prshaad.

The 'Mahaprashaad' is then distributed to all of the Sangat, they must be seated in Pangat (rows on the floor). The brains of the Bakra (goat) are served to the Akali Nihang Singh that performed the Jhatka.

If a Nihang Singh consumes Mahaprashaad and believes it just to be meat, then he is committing a huge sin. Mahaprashaad is a gift from Satguru Hargobind Sahib Jee Maharaaj to his army.

Just as the consumption of 'Gur ka Langaar' is more that just eating 'food', the consumption of 'Mahaprashaad' is far more than the consumption of 'meat'. The Sucham (cleanliness) kept whilst Mahaprashaad is prepared is of a very high level, no body except the Ardasi Singhs can touch anything. When Mahaprashaad is being prepared the Nihang Singh recite Gurbani and focuses on Mahakaal.

The maryada of Jhatka has deep philosophical implications. The worship of weapons cannot be complete without worship of the Battle-field. The highest from of worship on the battle-field is the slaying of the Dusht (enemies). To increase our control of weapons, Satguru Jee has started the Maryada of Shikaar (Hunting) and the son of Hunting is the consumption of flesh.

So we hope that this brief introduction to the Maryada of Jhatka, helps the Sangat appreciate that Jhatka is much more than the craving to eat meat. Jhatka only takes place on special occasions such as Gurpurbs.

Hazuri Singh refers to someone who has taken Khande de Pahul at Sachkhand - Sri Hazur Sahib. Hence, Amritpal Singh being Hazuri. It also refers to the resident Singh population of Hazur Sahib (who would have taken amrit there).

Takht and Gurdwara maryada has always been different (and still is). Akal Takht maryada and traditions were changed when SGPC/Singh Sabha took root. Shastar reside in the central place of worship in Takht Sahib, where as the Guru Ji resides centrally in Dharmsala (Gurdwara) Sahib.

I read your reply Neo and it seems like it defines when this tradition was started and who started and the details of how to do jhatka.....but nowhere I can find the incidence/sakhi where and when Satguru Hargobind Singh Ji started this tradition and ordered the sangat to follow this regularly......kindly, send the details link also.

Secondly, the material that you posted is from Niddar Singh....... this is what I found from: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Sarb_Loh_Granth

"Niddar Singh's 'propaganda'

The self-proclaimed leader of the Buddha Dal in UK, Niddar Singh, has done 'propaganda' for several years claiming that this granth was to be treated as a Bir Rass Granth, thus the tradition of jhatka (killing in one blow) was associated with it. Niddar Singh's lack of scriptual education was exposed by the fact that the Akhand Paath of Sarbloh Granth was conducted in a completely Vaishnavite (vegetarian) manner."

Do you happen to have something from previous Sants: Sant Nand Singh Ji, Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji, Sant Attar Singh Ji, Sant Karam Singh Ji Hotimardan wale??

Again, I am looking for the COMPLETE sakhi in which 6th patshah Satguru Hargobind Singh Ji started and ordered the Sikhs to continue this practice.......and also the sakhis where 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th Guru Ji did follow this tradition regularly.

Please don't think that I'm just sticking on my point.....I'm trying to understand the real picture instead of just trusting so called modern scholars........according to modern scholars: Bhai Bala did not exist, they do NOT respect Bhai Gurdas etc. etc..

das

What is the story behind this Hukamnama from Guru Hargobind Sahib wher they tell the sangat not to eat meat?

http://guroocities.com/dhurkibani/Hukams/6thGuru/hukam3.jpg

Das, the Sants you mention asked their sangat not to eat meat, Sant Isher Singh Ji Rarewale explained the spiritual reasons as well, the others may have done the same as well. Have you heard the 'suleman' tape?

At their (Sant Isher Singh Ji's) asthaan at Hapur (Gurudwara Bhorasahib), they gave the present Mahapursh the duty of curing people from disease via Gurbani. One of the conditions given to people who come to listen to Paath to get cured is that they must stop eating meat/eggs/alcohol. They have a 100% success rate, providing the given conditions are upheld. I've seen this for myself.

Saying that, they are also very close to the Mahapursh of Hazoor Sahib and have the highest respect for Hazoor Sahib itself. Like Gyani Thakur Singh Ji says in their katha posted earlier, this Maryada is not for everyone but doesn't mean it's wrong.

Matheen, I've heard of suleman tape and I am also aware that all Mahapurash instructs us not to eat meat.

Regarding the jathka, it seems to be wrong in the first instance but I might be wrong.......but in order to accept this as right thing (for anyone) I need something from the mentioned Mahapurashs.......or else a sakhi where it states that 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th Gurus ordered their Sikhs to do this regularly.........I fully support that there might have some instances where Guru Ji might have done that (but for a reason)......and I want to know the reason why we (who are not brahmgyani) are still doing that:

- Is it GuruJi who instructed us?

- or is it something Guru Ji did and we started following it every year?

- Spiritual signifiance of chatka in terms of how Guru Ji stated it?

that the reason I am requesting for complete sakhis where it was instructed to continue this chatka every year.

das

we been saying over here that this sant agrees with it or another sant agrees with it..

but I want to know wich of our Gurus agreed with it?

i refuse to believe what these sants are saying because at the end of the day its SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI who is our Guru. and if you can find anywhere in our holly book that what is happening is right or if Jhatka is the way to eat meat? or we are allowed to eat meat? then I will believe that its allowed in sikhism.......