What is Ojas?

I have heard many different schools of thought on ojas and energy conversion into ojas.  

Swami Vivekanand referred to sexual energy being transferred into ojas.  

Have read about about another line of thought that ojas is sexual energy and needs to be converted into divine energy.   

My own opinion is that both these lines of thought are just referring to the same thing, just using different words.

What is ojas? And how does it effect one on their journey?

Would appreciate input from,  @Lucky @Xylitol @Sat1176

Here is swami vivekanands description. Seems to be referring to ojas as the kundalini energy rising. He is talking about shushmana opening here as well after balancing of ida/pingla.

The Ojas

The "Ojas" is that which makes the difference between man and man. The man who has much Ojas is the leader of men. It gives a tremendous power of attraction. Ojas is manufactured from the nerve-currents. It has this peculiarity: it is most easily made from that force which manifests itself in the sexual powers. If the powers of the sexual centres are not frittered away and their energies wasted (action is only thought in a grosser state), they can be manufactured into Ojas. The two great nerve currents of the body start from the brain, go down on each side of the spinal cord, but they cross in the shape of the figure 8 at the back of the head. Thus the left side of the body is governed by the right side of the head. At the lowest point of the circuit is the sexual centre, the Sacral Plexus. The energy conveyed by these two currents of nerves comes down, and a large amount is continually being stored in the Sacral Plexus. The last bone in the spine is over the Sacral Plexus and is described in symbolic language as a triangle; and as the energy is stored up beside it, this energy is symbolised by a serpent. Consciousness and subconsciousness work through these two nerve-currents. But superconsciousness takes off the nerve-current when it reaches the lower end of the circuit, and instead of allowing it to go up and complete the circuit, stops and forces it up the spinal cord as Ojas from the Sacral Plexus. The spinal cord is naturally closed, but it can be opened to form a passage for this Ojas. As the current travels from one centre of the spinal cord to another, you can travel from one plane of existence to another. This is why the human being is greater than others, because all planes, all experiences, are possible to the spirit in the human body. We do not need another; for man can, if he likes, finish in his body his probation and can after that become pure spirit. When the Ojas has gone from centre to centre and reaches the Pineal Gland (a part of the brain to which science can assign no function), man then becomes neither mind nor body, he is free from all bondage.

The great danger of psychic powers is that man stumbles, as it were, into them, and knows not how to use them rightly. He is without training and without knowledge of what has happened to him. The danger is that in using these psychic powers, the sexual feelings are abnormally roused as these powers are in fact manufactured out of the sexual centre. The best and safest way is to avoid psychic manifestations, for they play the most horrible pranks on their ignorant and untrained owners.

To go back to symbols. Because this movement of the Ojas up the spinal cord feels like a spiral one, it is called the "snake". The snake, therefore, or the serpent, rests on the bone or triangle. When it is roused, it travels up the spinal cord; and as it goes from centre to centre, a new natural world is opened inside us—the Kundalini is roused.

/quote]

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda/Volume_6/Notes_Of_Class_Talks_And_Lectures/Lessons_On_Raja-Yoga

On 6/12/2018 at 3:06 AM, Lucky said:

Good abundant supply of ojas can help raise the kundalini, but it's not the same thing as kundalini energy. It's a subtle energy throughout the body that is akin to path of cerebrospinal fluid.  Whereas Prana is a life force energy that sustains our jeev, Ojas affects you physically in terms of stamina, vitality and health.   If you have lack of stamina, and internal energy, then your ojas is depleted.   Lots of apnay have poor ojas, as apparent from spare tire waists, pot bellies and lack of muscle.

Ive been looking into it and ojas seems to be a core part of ayurvedic thought of medicine.  I am somewhat familar with the balancing of pitta/vata/kapha in ayurveda.  Not sure how familar you are with it but ojas is linked with kapha.

If you do have yogi bachans lectures, i would be interested in reading them and his explanation of ojas.  

3 hours ago, CuriousSeeker said:

Ive been looking into it and ojas seems to be a core part of ayurvedic thought of medicine.  I am somewhat familar with the balancing of pitta/vata/kapha in ayurveda.  Not sure how familar you are with it but ojas is linked with kapha.

If you do have yogi bachans lectures, i would be interested in reading them and his explanation of ojas.  

There could be a lot more to it as you say.

I've read about pitta, vata, kapha a long time ago. It made sense, but I've never viewed or applied that approach for mind, body and spirit.  There was a book that member @das had suggested called "timeless secrets" or something. by  Andreas...... ? and was an eye opener for me.

I'll see if I have those lecture notes on a hard drive somewhere, they were on an old laptop.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

okay,if I understood this correctly...….. The ojas is actually the subtle energy in spinal fluid that travels up and down chakras?? possibly in cerebrospinal fluid(CSF)??

and if so, then this same energy can either be transformed and directed upwards to a perfect God like divine energy or it can be directed downwards without effort like gravity, into dirty/sexual energy ?

I think ojas stays in the brain from there it functions.

Ojas is transformed from sexual energy into spiritual energy through preserving semen.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:07 AM, tva prasad said:

@DeNiro this website explains it well:

https://gnosticteachings.org/glossary/o/2678-ojas.html 

This is where all the pati-parmeshwar stuff comes in. The practice is good for chastity= ojas. 

Did you understand the line below. If so, can you please explain.

"The semen is transmuted by means of Maithuna into subtle vapors...."

Thanks a lot

Bhul chuk maaf

25 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Did you understand the line below. If so, can you please explain.

"The semen is transmuted by means of Maithuna into subtle vapors...."

Thanks a lot

Bhul chuk maaf

Maithuna is yoga term, it's sacred sex by which we derive pleasure from within. It is when feminine and masculine energies are in complete balance causing immense tranquility and peace. It's when shiv and shakti are in complete balance. 

You can read more about if you wish:

http://mindful-yoga.blogspot.com/2014/04/maithuna-sacred-sex.html?m=1 

Therefore, semen is transmuted to subtle vapours (in order to be changed into energy from there), through Maithuna. 

12 hours ago, tva prasad said:

This is why Inder Dev sends his apsaras to rishis, muni and tapsavis. Sexual intercourse really disrupts Bhagati because it effects shaktis within our bodies.

There are instances from lives of Gautama Buddha, Baba Nand Singh ji, Sant Attar Singh ji, Sant Harnam Singh ji Rampur khede and probably many others. where Maya took form to test them. 

When Maya takes a female form, it is called Chetan Maya, and is considered to be the most dangerous of all, and only the greatest of great Saints can pass this test. 

Even the great tapasvis like Shiva lost his veerya when he saw the mohini avtar of Vishnu. That veerya fell into ocean , and according to mythology led to birth of Hanuman.

3 hours ago, Xylitol said:

I emphasize satsangat so much b/c their energy helps an incredible amount, speaking from my experience. In comparing my rate of advancement before I started doing regular satsangat vs. back when I did more bhagti at home it is a truly immense eye-opening difference. And it's owed all to satsangat.

I get you. A few of my breakthroughs happened in the company of likeminded sangat.  

Have you or anyone else on here experienced other sangat?  as in the mind joining sangat on other planes?

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 10/5/2018 at 4:11 AM, Xylitol said:

I think it's mostly a waste of time to read tons of websites. The best is to learn directly from the immensely spiritually elevated people of our own dharm b/c sometimes those of other dharms will do things differently. This can cause dubida (doubts) and confusion. 

Ojas rises when we do sangat bhagti sangat seva and sangat. Avoid vikaars nindya backbiting etc. As we tyag (internally let go of ) kaamic thoughts only then will it rise. Otherwise that sexual energy stays as kaam. In a nutshell, it's a simple matter of doing the right thing long enough and avoiding the wrong thing long enough and lots of satsangat. 

I emphasize satsangat so much b/c their energy helps an incredible amount, speaking from my experience. In comparing my rate of advancement before I started doing regular satsangat vs. back when I did more bhagti at home it is a truly immense eye-opening difference. And it's owed all to satsangat.

@Xylitol I am looking forward to have satsangat , currently You Tube and google search is my sat sangat source, and discussions/questions/answers on sikh awareness forum.