Are women allowed to eat jhatka and drink Shaheedi Deg?

Hari

Are women allowed to eat jhatka and drink Shaheedi Deg/sukha?I'm asking this, because I know for a fact that Nihang Singhs did give women sukha to drink and jhatka to eat a generation ago.I don't know about now.

Are women allowed these things then?I have a feeling they are not allowed.So why did they freely let women partake of these things.Do they still allow women jhatka and sukha?

They are allowed, should they wish to consume Jhatka or Shaheedi Degh.

Women (in theory) have a more refined palate than men, so traditionally, Degh is given in a slightly diluted form and is sweetened with Gurh (jaggery) or molasses as the taste isnt really appealing. Due to the physiology of women, substances such as alcohol, cannabis (THCs), opium etc remain in the body for longer, and are metabolised at a slower rate, and as such, the dosage is reduced.

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/htmls/keski_dress3.html <--the first picture here shows a Nihang Singh being given a bowl of Shaheedi Degh by his wife. It is not uncommon for Nihang women to partake of Degh. Nihang Singhs, being Shivswaroop also parallel the tales of Shivji being given Degh by Mata Parvati when he was filled with blind rage (and took the form of Rudr).

Dasam Guru Durbar speaks of women consuming cannabis with their husbands and/or lovers for pleasure, as this was, and still is Indian tradition.

The Kokshastars (texts of lovemaking and relationships) speak of utilising Cannabis (and/or opium, alcohol, sugar-based drinks, sherbets, etc) to enhance lovemaking and hightening the senses. It is only modern society that considers Cannabis a taboo, partly due to people's inability for self-control and increasing the chances of abuse.

A more common form given to women/kids is Shardhai (non-intoxicating) drink made from almonds, black pepper, poppy seeds, sugar, water, milk and rose petals. This is also the same drink used by Indian sportsmen/women such as kabbadi players, wrestlers, baajigar, etc.

Considering the image certain people have of the Nihangs of the UK, I guess a disclaimer is needed *rolls eyes*

No doubt certain individuals will consider the mere mentioning of these topics as a violation of the very foundations of what they consider to be Sikhism. In mentioning Shivji and Mata Parvati, the utilisation of cannabis, other intoxicants, and sexual acts, this is in no way intended to encourage people into idol worship, using intoxicants, or indulge in uncontrolled masturbation, rampant illicit sex or adultery.

For the those who are married, Ayurveda Acharya Neelamegh (9th century) suggests sex is considered healthy, especially in the summer months during dusk after consuming wine made from sugar cane and pineapple juice!! (apologies for the slight detour)

Thank you for the response Narsingha.I have one more question now.

:arrow: Are women allowed to perform jhatka* and do rugra (make Deg)?

As far as I know, women are not allowed to do jhatka and make Shaheedi Deg.I maybe wrong ofcourse, like with my original query.

Surely women can make Deg, no?Seeing that a Mahakaal Saroop Nihang Singh's wife is his Shakti.And you have story of Parvati making and giving sukha to Shivji.But I don't know about jhatka.

*Assuming that a woman has strength and skill enough to do jhatka ofcourse.

Thank you for the response Narsingha.I have one more question now.

:arrow: Are women allowed to perform jhatka* and do rugra (make Deg)?

As far as I know, women are not allowed to do jhatka and make Shaheedi Deg.I maybe wrong ofcourse, like with my original query.

Surely women can make Deg, no?Seeing that a Mahakaal Saroop Nihang Singh's wife is his Shakti.And you have story of Parvati making and giving sukha to Shivji.But I don't know about jhatka.

*Assuming that a woman has strength and skill enough to do jhatka ofcourse.

I'm not one to stop a woman from making Mahaparshad if she wishes...esp if she has a Tegha in her hand..

:LOL:

However, joking aside, traditionally speaking, only "Ardasia" Sikhs were/are the only ones allowed to prepare langar, etc. They tend to me men, and are at the heart of the Nihang Dals and keep full Nihang maryada with regards to Nitnem, Bibecki, etc. The reason for this is that only fully trusted people are allowed to make food (...for poisoning of the food to kill an army is an ancient method employed by enemies).

• 1 month later...

jus to ask mr karmjeet so bk in tha day of all the wars n wa not how did the singhs stay healthy; i sure they didnt plant ne veg did they. but i believe wat u have sed to be very narrow minded, n not worth arguing as i have seen it time n time again on this site,

jus one thing narsingha, shaheedi degh is that the same as sukha, or is it summit diff, i ever so confused on the matter.

Technically speaking, "Shaheedi Degh" is made accoridng to FULL maryada (ie, 5 leaves of cannabis, and with Bibecki Maryada, Pooja and Ardas). It is drunk as the deeds of the great Shaheeds are recalled. This is not intoxicating, and is more of a protein drink.

The term "Sukha"/"Sukh Nidaan" can be used to refer to either "Shaheedi Degh", or "Degh" made with more cannabis, or "Degh" made without the full maryada, or "Degh" made for an individual, or a small group of Nihangs.

"Bhang" is a generalised term (not often used by Nihangs themselves) that the Punjabis/Indians use to refer to an intoxicating drink made with cannabis. This is made during Nivratri, Shivratri, Pooranmashi, Diwali, Holi, etc...and traditionally this was drunk in the place of tea/alcohol during Sikh and Punjabi festivals...(ie, before the British Raj).

lol Akali Sodhi, didn't you know that in history Singhs fought in battles by sitting down and doing Naam-Simran! The dusht were dazzled by the glowing light that shone from the meditating Gursikhs. And Singhs in the past were so chardi-kala that they never even used to eat plants and veg, they never needed to eat. And they used to fly like Superman with funky costumes!

(yeah, I think shaheedi degh and sukha are the same thing)

lol@ beast.

thats the problem tho singh, people live in this fantasy world..they dnt realise when singhs KILLED human beings, they tore their limbs, cut their necks, watched their insides come rushing out like juice in an orange,etc etc..it was pretty gruesome stuff..war isnt a game..people need to understand this..so alcohol, meat, sukha,etc are all permissible in this situations..that goes without saying.

thats doesnt mean im sayin its kool on a day to day basis, but people like me want to respect and maintain a tradition, then wheres the harm?

no point crying over bambi, when theres human beings suffering at our own doorsteps.

me (sodhi) has neva been under the influence(of alchol) or of ne otha substance, i jus dnt no were these type fo rumors start from, one things tho it sure give ya some courage, started on a copper, once in a state like that

Guest Javanmard

When talking of the use of alcohol one needs to take into account ancient Indian kshatriya maryada:

1. There is aclear disctinction made between wine (made out of grapes) and alcohol made our of grains ( desi daru, moonshine, beer, vodka, whisky etc..). A true kshatriya never touches alcohol made out of grain as this is a sign of being a barbarian or mleccha.

2. Drunkeness is absolutely taboo as is social drinking. In general the Anglo-Saxon drinking habits would be qualified as mlechha dues to its immoderate consumption of alcohol. Use of alcohol alwys needs to be moderate.

3. The use of wine is allowed on three opportunities:

a.whilst eating. This refers to the consumption of one or two glasses of wine during a meal. This is very similar to the Mediterranean drinking habit which does not seek intoxication but is first of al a matter of health.

b.before going to war. Wine has a relaxing effect on the body and mind when taken in moderation.

c.when making love : for relaxing pruposes as well . Again only in moderation as being drunk during any of these acts would not make sense at all.

In the Sikh context one has to take into account the Adi Guru Granth Sahib's passage on avoiding the intoxicating drink but also the kabbit 666 of Bhai Gurdas where he talks of the moderate and intelligent use of wine and one also has to take into acount the Hikkayat in Dasam Guru Granth Sahib written y Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj where wine plays an important role as well.

The use of wine in the Panth is a complex issue but one thing is definitely sure:

social drinking, getting drunk (the Anglo-Saxon or Germanic way) and the use of hard liquor is totally out of question. May I also remind the members that Kashmir and Afghanistan produced great quality wines and that European wines were also known in India in the times of the Gurus. During Maharaj Ranjit Sngh's reign wine from Kashmir was consumed a lot. Unfortunately Maharaja Ranjit SIngh remains an example that we SIkhs should not follow as he had fallen into alcoholism.

It is indeed sad to see that many members of our community are addicted to alcohol and even worse intoxicants.

One should NEVER confuse the intelligent and moderate use of cannabis and wine with the deplorable situation that faces our community nowadays (alcoholism, drug abuse, social drinking).It is all a matter of education and manners.

It seems that instead of behaving like kings we prefer to behave like dogs..

Each one of us can make a choice...

So to clarify;

basically only those who are fully initiated and living the strictest kshatriya (nihang dal) maryada can use alcohol in any of these three circumstances, as Nihangs being rajoguni are justified using it. Sadhu samprday are sattvic in their dietary habits.

Well those circumstances has to be llegitimate ie- in form of pain killers.

Normal Sikh Population have more chances of abusing the alcohol in the use than staying awaying from it all together because of the "tempatation".

Normal people can not control temptation unless you are on the certain stage of spirtuality which frankly not everyone is...!

Just like you cant find bhramgyani in every pind or city.