Sau Sakhi 64

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Sau Sakhi 64

“Stand in a line, if you are to bare weapons and wish to up hold the duty of a warrior, then hunt keeping the warrior duty in mind and eat meat. If you wish to follow the vegetarian way, or the way of Saints, then meat eating is forbidden. He who contemplates God’s name and is of the of Sato Gun character, he should not eat meat, for meat eating promotes Tams Gun. He, who wishes to fight for righteousness and protect the weak in battle, has to spill many people’s blood and should be ready to sacrifice himself. He should hunt, eat meat, and should have no fear because he is but doing his warrior duty. But, remember this, eating meat for just pleasure of tongue or vice is a sin --’”.’

(‘Sau Sakhi Steek’, by Partap Singh Mehta, Vol.2, Pa. 136-137)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there 3 Gohns (Attributes)

Rajas

Tamsik

Satvik

I don't have a very clear definition of them, but im sure someone knows.

but i have heard this analogy that compares the 3 Guhns.

Rajas Guhn is like a Semi Dry wood which can catch fire after being dried up. Sort of like Someone who has the desire to be with god, but needs Assitance.

Tamsik Guhn is like a completly wet wood drenched in water. Similar to those who cannot be saved in their current birth.

Satvik is like dry wood, which needs only a spark to ignite in to the flame of love.

hope that give u somewhat of an understanding.

• 2 years later...

there are so many versions of sau sakhi that differ on many points, hoever what has been said aboce seems to be true.

rajo gun = shiva

tamo gun = brahma

sato gun = vishnu

these are 3 guns which the Khalsa should collectivley possess.

Gur ishar(shiv jee) Gur gorakh(vishnu jee) Brahma Gur parbati mai as it says in the Japji Sahib is refering to these 3 guns.

So does this also mean that Nirmala's, Udasi's and Seva Panthis dont eat meat? Im not against eating meat (jhatka) or if someones chooses to be vegetarian BTW. Also im not too familiar with other Sikh Sampardaaye, this is why im asking.

Sorry if this question offends anyone, I didnt mean it.

• 1 month later...

Yes Rupz, this is why I've termed Udasis, Nirmalay, Sevapanthis sattavgunic samprdais (in contrast to the non-sattavgunic one) in the past. Nothing in life is ever this simple...but ALL the Nirmalay texts on this subject I've read break down the khalsa into these three forms (with grihasth as rajoguni). The big Udasis I've spoken to (inc the Sri Mahant of the Bada Udasin Panchayat Akhara) also hold this point, that the very aim of the Nihangs is totally distinct from the aim for nirmalay udasis and sevapanthis (meaning the way in which they uphold dharma). Yet if you read the bani about the Khalsa in Sarbloh Granth, it is clear that guru Maharaj used the term to also imply the spiritually pavittar also. Hence the Khalsa samprdais being both Nirmalay and Nihangs historically.

Yes Rupz, this is why I've termed Udasis, Nirmalay, Sevapanthis sattavgunic samprdais (in contrast to the non-sattavgunic one) in the past. Nothing in life is ever this simple...but ALL the Nirmalay texts on this subject I've read break down the khalsa into these three forms (with grihasth as rajoguni). The big Udasis I've spoken to (inc the Sri Mahant of the Bada Udasin Panchayat Akhara) also hold this point, that the very aim of the Nihangs is totally distinct from the aim for nirmalay udasis and sevapanthis (meaning the way in which they uphold dharma). Yet if you read the bani about the Khalsa in Sarbloh Granth, it is clear that guru Maharaj used the term to also imply the spiritually pavittar also. Hence the Khalsa samprdais being both Nirmalay and Nihangs historically.

Would Nirmalay then be required to take khande di pahul? Or is the term Khalsa not limited to only amritdharis?

I can understand why Shiv Ji is Tamogun, but why is Vishnu Sattogun & Brahma Rajogun?

Nirmalay are required to take Khande di pahul. The term khalsa however, is a reference to the pure beings of all religions.

Sau Sakhi has numerous versions due to British interference. I've heard that the actual version can still be found, but only at some mahapurkh deras.

a bit off topic - how does this relate to certain foods being rajoguni, satoguni and tamoguni? I've heard that satoguni foods are good for keeping your munn shant....but don't know which foods fall in which category

I know many very passive and peaceful meat eaters and many angry and violent minded vegetarians.

I am not convinced re the physical affect on personality or spirituality, but obviously psychologically, one who has a simpler diet, makes for a simpler life style, less rich diet related problems, and ultimately the simplicity factor is most likely transferable, so applies to other aspects of life, leaving the said person pretty stress free and peaceful....

what should a person eat if they have a hard time doing tutti? when I'm satoguni I'm usually full of sh!t, but then when I eat meat it comes out...again I can't pretend I'm veggie

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: